What is better free standing or insert pellet stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iman

Mar 22, 2007
Are free standing stoves better than inserts? Witch ones are the easest to clean and repair? I want a free standing and my wife likes the way that the inserts look. I know that most free standing stoves hold more pellets. I have been thinking about the Quad fire Mt. Vernon AE or similar stove to heat a new home. Any advice would be helpfull. thanks.

Access on a freestanding is easier
Ash pans on FS is greater
That's about it
the wife usually wins out
looks like you're getting an insert :cheese:

Stoves are much easier to repair. I have seen inside a few inserts and am dreading the day when I have to replace parts in the backs of them. It doesn't look like it will be fun.

A free standing of either a wood or pellet stove is going to throw more heat. If space in the installation is at a premium then an insert should win hands down.

There was some debate on here about 5 or 6 months ago regarding the radiant heat thrown by a freestander, vs. the convective heat thrown by an insert with a blower, and which one makes the air feel warmer, etc. I have an insert and like it, and I know the stove guys swear by theirs. Personally, I think its more of an interior design and style question... If you have both a fireplace and the extra room to devote to a freestanding stove, then read on and make the choice between them. If you have a fireplace but don't really have or want to devote the room to a freestander, then get an insert. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

-- Mike

jtp10181 said:
Stoves are much easier to repair. I have seen inside a few inserts and am dreading the day when I have to replace parts in the backs of them. It doesn't look like it will be fun.

That said, the Quad 1200i parts are all very accessible. Sometimes older tech is easier in the long run.

GVA said:
Access on a freestanding is easier
Ash pans on FS is greater
That's about it
the wife usually wins out
looks like you're getting an insert :cheese:

I'd add cost of installation to that. An insert will cost more to install.

Also, stove selection is another. Obviously not a difference in performace. There aren't many insert options in the 50,000+ BTU range and in general there are more freestanding stoves available than inserts.

The Patriot said:
I'd add cost of installation to that. An insert will cost more to install.

Also, stove selection is another. Obviously not a difference in performace. There aren't many insert options in the 50,000+ BTU range and in general there are more freestanding stoves available than inserts.

Don't know if the cost is necessarily more, but I'd rely on the installers on this board to fill us in on that... I know there's no hearth pad to buy with an insert, and you can run flex up the chimney instead of a solid flue that has to penetrate your roof. As for stove selection, I think every major manufacturer makes an insert larger than 50K BTUs... definitely a larger selection of stoves, but your options are not limited with inserts.

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Don't know if the cost is necessarily more, but I'd rely on the installers on this board to fill us in on that... I know there's no hearth pad to buy with an insert, and you can run flex up the chimney instead of a solid flue that has to penetrate your roof. As for stove selection, I think every major manufacturer makes an insert larger than 50K BTUs... definitely a larger selection of stoves, but your options are not limited with inserts.

-- Mike

I'm sure it varies, but I got the impression that in general an insert costs more to install than a freestanding. I'm going on what I've heard, no personal experience with an insert installation.

There are certainly 50,000+ options in inserts by some manufacturers, but less options. Harman only has one insert right now and it's 42,000 BTU's. On the flip side, they have 6 freestanding options, 3 of which are over 50,000 BTU's and another at 48,000. I'm sure there are others, but the only insert that I know of off the top of my head with over 50,000 BTU's is the Quad Mt Vernon.

iman said:
Are free standing stoves better than inserts? Witch ones are the easest to clean and repair? I want a free standing and my wife likes the way that the inserts look. I know that most free standing stoves hold more pellets. I have been thinking about the Quad fire Mt. Vernon AE or similar stove to heat a new home. Any advice would be helpfull. thanks.

You're right, a freestanding pellet stove is better and cheaper. Easier to load pellets, holds more, and you can inspect and maintain the rear components. As an appliance, the pellet stove is a hot air heater and doesn't care whether it's in a fireplace or not. Aesthetically (sp) the insert would win for me. The pellet stove and it's tiny exhaust pipe just don't look that good to me and the stove won't be radiating heat like a wodstove from the sides.

If you have a fireplace where you want the pellet heater AND you can find an insert model that meets your needs then I think I would go for that insert. Plus if momma ain't happy then nobody's happy.

BeGreen said:
jtp10181 said:

That said, the Quad 1200i parts are all very accessible. Sometimes older tech is easier in the long run.

I was working on a Castile insert this year and as I was looking around inside it I was thinking to myself.... man I hope I never have to try and get those fans out of there. We have maybe installed.... 5 pellet inserts in the last 2 years. So no one at our store has much expiriance fixing them. Guess what that means.... I get to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.