1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is everyone running for pellet stove back-up power?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by The Village Idiot, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
    5500 watt generator that is connected via an outdoor weather proof receptacle to a transfer switch in my garage. Since I have an outdoor hot tub and one submersible pump for my drilled well and a jet pump for my dug well, I usually trip breakers on a number of items in order to power the essentials during a power outage. I usually keep the fridge, pellet stove, oil boiler, one well pump, and stereo or tv circuits on. With a few lights as well. With just the essentials on the 5500 watt can keep up with relative ease.

There is a part of me that regrets not investing in a larger, automatic stand by generator back when I bought my current generator and switch. The other more rational part of me reminds me occasionally that I've actually only had to use my current set-up twice since I invested about $1800 into it several years ago. At that time an automatic set-up would have cost around $6,000 minimum.....and still only would have been used twice so I suppose I made the right decision.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Nope, not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL
    oldmountvernon likes this.