What is good for cleaning pellet stove glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it gets just sooty I use Windex, etc type class cleaner. I also use a glass cleaner specifically for pellet stoves, which does a good job of powering away the creosote, if any.

As for avoiding the glass getting dirty, I know my stove usually starts to soot the glass when the burn pot gets filled with too much ash aka restricted air flow. Make sure all the holes are clean and the pot is clean. Also check the damper setting. You'll need to adjust it differently per feed rate

I use Rutland glass cleaner for stoves about every 2 weeks.

Reactions: Mt Bob
As far as making it stay clean longer,you will have to do that with stove adjustments or repairs.

Stove is a brand new big e. It burns good. But just wondering if there is a way to keep the glass just a little bit cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stove is a brand new big e. It burns good. But just wondering if there is a way to keep the glass just a little bit cleaner.

i do not really know that unit,or its character,can only suggest use the search box above.

You can always start a new thread for anything. But I just want to hear everything from everyone in the pellet stove world.

You can always start a new thread for anything. But I just want to hear everything from everyone in the pellet stove world.

Well the announcement on your thread says one thing,then your post says another.grow up.

Nothing but light dry ash/dust deposits on my stove glass. It will come out easilly with nothing more than a damp paper towel, with no scrubbing needed. I'd say a stove that is producing sticky residues needing scrubbing is not burning 100% right. Rutland or other similar ceramic-glass cleaner/polish may prevent the residues from adhering to the glass but is not totally needed imho. I use it only a few times per year. I read that Windex or other similar products may not be recommended for ceramic-type glasses. YMMV.

Can you lean out the fuel air mix. If your problem is black you are burning to rich.

Nothing but light dry ash/dust deposits on my stove glass. It will come out easilly with nothing more than a damp paper towel, with no scrubbing needed. I'd say a stove that is producing sticky residues needing scrubbing is not burning 100% right. Rutland or other similar ceramic-glass cleaner/polish may prevent the residues from adhering to the glass but is not totally needed imho. I use it only a few times per year. I read that Windex or other similar products may not be recommended for ceramic-type glasses. YMMV.
Ammonia free glass cleaners are recommended . something about the ammonia can cause pitting in the glass I think.

Some air wash designs on stoves just don't work all that well. All get build-up on the glass. Rona is right when he says to lean out your fuel a bit ... or increase your air a bit. Leaning the fuel will give you slightly less btus; Increasing your air will put more heat out your exhaust though. Minor amounts on both. Many just do a quick rake on their burn pot more frequently or wash the glass more often if it bothers them. As long as it is just fly ash and not creosote...

Some air wash designs on stoves just don't work all that well. All get build-up on the glass. Rona is right when he says to lean out your fuel a bit ... or increase your air a bit. Leaning the fuel will give you slightly less btus; Increasing your air will put more heat out your exhaust though. Minor amounts on both. Many just do a quick rake on their burn pot more frequently or wash the glass more often if it bothers them. As long as it is just fly ash and not creosote...
good advice but with my Harman P Free standing, there are Zilch adjustments for any air increase or decrease..

Damp paper towel works great! No need for chemicals.

good advice but with my Harman P Free standing, there are Zilch adjustments for any air increase or decrease..
OP has a breckwell Big E ... do not have time to look up in manual to see what air/feed adjustments he has as I'm leaving for 5 hour drive so dog can get knee surgery tomorrow.

*eating before I go so at the computer!

Glass keeps getting dirty fast how do I fix this any suggestions?
I stopped using Rutland soon after buying it. Now I use Stoner's Invisible Glass, which is what I use on everything else glass, like house windows and car windshields.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I stopped using Rutland soon after buying it. Now I use Stoner's Invisible Glass, which is what I use on everything else glass, like house windows and car windshields.
Being a mechanic most of my life,I agree(to a point)stoners is the most streak free non leaving a residue cleaner.But rutland leaves a hi temp coating on the glass,much the same as a good car wax,it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.