What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cypress in Ct?

Not totally sure but I took it from a neighbor who left it roadside. I think he said it was Leland cypress. Maybe something he had once transplanted. Could be wrong. Burns hot and is a lightweight wood.

WP_20161028_01_35_30_Pro.jpg

A really nice secondary burn from some birch and some effing poplar.
The Den is 80ish degrees amd the wifey is toasty warm and happy.
Life is good...

On the menu for today is Elm, and maybe a few pieces of Maple mixed in

Post #476

Dust Woody? That was a month ago. Here at the top of the finest state in the Union we've been
24/7 for a week now going into the 70's for Halloween weekend. Bet'cher cookin' by now?

With this being ground zero for EAB you guys know what scrounge makes up my ashbed, totes,
and coming up now to toast the wife, kids, and dogs.

I just put in a big sugar maple split and 2 smaller ash splits. Fixed myself a cocktail, I'll be sleeping by 8:30.

Cold, windy and rainy here in Maine. Currently I think there's a white pine split, a black birch split and two red oak chunky uglies. And the living room is a comfortable 72 degrees.

Using the shoulder to get rid of the uglies.
My stax are looking much prettier now.
Been doing pine under ash predominantly thus far.

Using the shoulder to get rid of the uglies.
My stax are looking much prettier now.
Been doing pine under ash predominantly thus far.

Pine and ash are a great combo

I'm burning the ugliest stuff for now. Mostly the crooked or knotty pieces of bigleaf maple from one of my yard trees. Plus some small red alder pieces to fill the gaps.

Dust Woody? That was a month ago. Here at the top of the finest state in the Union we've been 24/7 for a week now going into the 70's for Halloween weekend. Bet'cher cookin' by now?
With this being ground zero for EAB you guys know what scrounge makes up my ashbed, totes,
and coming up now to toast the wife, kids, and dogs.
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't hold out on 10/22. I had gone to MIL's to work on the Buck, and figured I'd start a "test fire" to make sure everything was OK. ;) Well, I didn't finish the Buck that day and when I got home, I was still hyped for a burn. It was 67 in here, and I caved. ;em I coulda had a PB for late starts if I'd have hung tough. :( This place doesn't hold heat too well so I usually start burning in the middle of Oct. With temps at the end of the week going down to mid 60s/mid 40s, I may be lighting our second fire soon...

Found a quarter cord of cedar in my stack for this year, from a few trees that blew into my yard during hurricane Sandy. So, I'll be burning them this week, while it's not too terribly cold. Never burned this stuff for anything but kindling, before, so I'll take any advice on it. I'll be mixing it with 20% hardwood (mostly oak), to give the fire better longevity, and hoping it doesn't cause my cat to go nuclear. The first two loads seemed to run nice, but obviously a little shorter than I'm used to seeing.

Found a quarter cord of cedar in my stack for this year, from a few trees that blew into my yard during hurricane Sandy. So, I'll be burning them this week, while it's not too terribly cold. Never burned this stuff for anything but kindling, before, so I'll take any advice on it.
I have a 5" diameter, 15' pole of it lying around somewhere...thinking I'd use it for something some day but I may try your kindling idea with some. Neighbor wouldn't care if I got a little smoke on startup...it would smell great! ==c
We went to O'Charley's yesterday to burn a gift card someone gave us. I had a chunk of salmon that they brought out on a burnt cedar shingle...you could try that. Tell your wife, "We're having 'blazed salmon' tonight." ;lol

This is an old farm, and there are lots of those old cedar posts surrounding the property. The sapwood rots like pine, but the red heartwood will last like locust. Issue is, when the sapwood rots, the post gets loose in the hole.

Most cedar today is harvested too young to have any appreciable heartwood. This is why today's cedar decks and shingles don't last very long, compared to those of the past.

Found a quarter cord of cedar in my stack for this year, from a few trees that blew into my yard during hurricane Sandy. So, I'll be burning them this week, while it's not too terribly cold. Never burned this stuff for anything but kindling, before, so I'll take any advice on it. I'll be mixing it with 20% hardwood (mostly oak), to give the fire better longevity, and hoping it doesn't cause my cat to go nuclear. The first two loads seemed to run nice, but obviously a little shorter than I'm used to seeing.

I've burned partial cords of cedar mostly in the shoulder seasons. Been a year or two but only thing worth mentioning was that it was a little sparky as I recall. Otherwise very pleasant to burn, starts nice, burns nice but not too long as mentioned. Your CATs will probably play real nice with it.

My wife said last night "It is a little cold in here, should we turn the heat on for a bit?" So I put about 4 more splits in the stove and cranked up the air intake. In about 10 minutes it went from 68F to 80F. No HVAC system out there that I know of could do the same thing.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
i was going to light one last night, but it was still 60º outside. i woke up this morning and it was 40º outside and 60º in the basement (65º upstairs). I decided to get a fire going for the nanny, since she is always cold. Griddle temp was just around 120º when i left, so no temp change. i'm curious to see how hot it is when i get home.... hopefully she engaged the cat, so I'm not going through a ton of wood when it is 60º outside!

All sweet gum, to strictly heat DHW only. It was 87 flipping degrees down here yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was 83 in the basement yesterday, and 79 upstairs! I had to open the windows! it was a mix of elm, russian olive and pine... it is supposed to be almost 70º again today, so i let the furnace kick on for a few minutes and decided not to go through more wood....

I've been burning 2 year sugar maple and black cherry. I made some kindling from the maple and it's so dry that it makes a nice cracking sound when it splits. It has that hollow ringing sound when you bang it together. 5079d6bdb8dfa592d4553de5eef3febd.jpg

Got some more tulip to get rid of before the real cold hits, mixed with some maple for coals.