1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is the better chainsaw brand?

Post in 'The Gear' started by StihlHead, Jan 3, 2013.

?

Which brand chainsaw be more better?

1. Stihl

37 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. Husky (includes Poulan & J-red)

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Dolmar/Makita-Dolkita

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Other: Echo, Tanaka, old MAC/Olympyk, RedMax, Homelite, etc.

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    "Which brand chainsaw be more better?" Well I will go with the one thats has a good chain full thank of fuel and oil and warm it up please!
    Thistle and amateur cutter like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    When I think of balance I think of how easy a saw is to maneuver and use for various tasks. I find the Husky 372 to be a bit easier to use for multiple tasks than my MS440. Unless the tree I'm cutting has a lot of limbs I don't usually switch saws before bucking the log into rounds.
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Madsen's, now that is one serious place for chainsaw and logging supply stuff. Great place, and I stop there whenever I go north to Tacoma or Seattle to buy wedges, logging tape, parts, chaps, etc.
    Bigg_Redd likes this.
  4. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Port McNeill BC
    For me the preference is the quality of service which I will get from the selling Dealer. I have a Husky/Stihl dealer 5 minutes from the house but make my purchases from a dealer 30 minutes away that has a good reputation for good after sales service.
    Over the years I have had 2 Stihls and 2 Huskys and have been happy with all.
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Madsen's is a dangerous place for me. I usually leave my wallet in the car.
    StihlHead, MasterMech and DexterDay like this.
  6. Bocephous

Bocephous Member

Loc:
    Smiley, NEPA
    I had one for about a year and a half. Best handling motorcycle I've ever owned. Seat provided the comfort of a 2X4 covered with a towel.
  7. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

I hear hah, but I see them as a great place to SAVE MONEY, compared to spending money on shipping on stuff from Ebay or B*s in CA. Also with an Oregon license, I do not pay sales tax there. ;) That worked for buying a new car in Tacoma for my niece too. Did not have to pay the *cough* 10% sales tax.

Go Seahawks!
    Bigg_Redd likes this.
  8. Freakingstang

Freakingstang Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Berlin Center, Ohio

Yes,someone gets it, and that is likely because youve had both in your hands and been able to run them side by side for more than one cut. That is how I feel as well. untilI got my 550xp, i use my old skool hot rodded 372xp as my main saw...little stuff, bug stuff, medium stuff, etc.. If you watch this video you'll see where the ergonomics (handling, comfort) come into play. they are both great saws. To the stihl heads that haven't ran a 372, the 440 is the best thing since sliced bread. To husky guys, they want a new 440.... the ultimate saw would be a 440 with a modified 460 topend. The one of those I built was a freakin' animal.. wish i would have never sold it..

anyways as far as the handling aspect, the 372 definately takes the cake with its light vibrations... watch this video under the the limbing section. pay attention to seconds 14-19 of the video as he is flopping the saw back and forth. this is where husky ergonomics are awesome and stihls mostly feel like vibrating bricks...

DexterDay likes this.
  9. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, when I was young and poor, I cut a heck of lot wood to keep me warm with my cheap little poulan with a 12 in bar. Wasn't what I wanted but all I could afford. I finally got a big saw, a McCullough, bought it for $25 bucks. It kept me warm too. I have had a lot of saws since, as my means increased. Now.....well, Stihl, because I have a local dealer that takes care of me. He has Huskies now too, so I have a choice. May try one someday.