What is the difference between the Englander 13 NCH and the 12 FP ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
More to the point why is the 13 NCH an EPA certified stove and the 12FP is not ? Which stove is better ? I plan on heating my 600 sq ft basement and my 600 sq ft first floor . I plan on using bio bricks which I can but 1000 for $ 150.00. Also plan on using some cord wood. Why is the 12 FP a 35- 1 stove, and what does that mean ? I plan on running my exhaust pipe up 3 feet through my basement wall and up the side of my house . I don't want to build a chimney so I plan on using that shiny stove pipe ,don't know what it is called . I do not want it right next to my house so I plan on having it about 12 " from the outside wall . SOOO does this sound like a good plan ? Or should I get a better one ? Any help would be great . Home Depot usually run a half off sale on wood stoves around mid February and I plan on buying one at that time.

Ha, I just went through all this about a month ago. The 12FP is no EPA certified, so it does not have any way to burn the smoke the fire created, and is MUCH less efficient than the 13NC is. A 35 to 1 unit is a unit which uses much more air than an EPA model, so it cannot be damped down to any kind of efficiency worth using. We had a 12FP in our house for a couple years. It was ok for supplemental heat in one room, but won't compare to what the 13NC will do. It's well worth the small extra cost for the 12NC. I know Corie can really shed more light on this for you.

buildingmaint said:
More to the point why is the 13 NCH an EPA certified stove and the 12FP is not ? Which stove is better ? I plan on heating my 600 sq ft basement and my 600 sq ft first floor . I plan on using bio bricks which I can buy 1000 for $ 150.00. Also plan on using some cord wood.

What's the price difference between the two stoves? And where can you get BioBricks for $150.00 per pallet?
~Cath

if you are looking to heat a 600 ft basement as well as the floor above , i'd recommend getting the 13. basements generally require a higher heating load than an "upstairs application" the 13 is actually going to run hotter and more efficiently than the 12 will , even though they have the same box size

Craig,
My working assumption was that he was quoted a price for a pallet. What caught my attention was the $150.00 price tag. That's about $100.00 less than the going rate when they are available.

Although I do appreciate your point about the confusion.
~Cath

I've not called the place that advertised the price but they have been running the same ad for the last three months. It says nothing about weight only 1000 for $ 150.00 . It could very well be 1000 lbs , but it is not mentioned in their ad. I have read that the Bio Brick run around 2.5 pounds apiece. At $ 300.00 a pallet it would be not cost effective for me to burn them . It would not change my mind about installing a wood stove

I'm pretty sure a pallet of BioBricks contains 1000 bricks, but it weighs 1900 Lbs, which is 100 less than a ton (2000 Lbs).

As Craig just pointed out, people get sloppy with the terminology --perhaps "accidentally on purpose"-- which can exploit any confusion. It may well be that the Seller means half a pallet, thinking that a pallet is 1 ton or 2000 Lbs. Or he may know that it's only 950 Lbs, hoping the potential buyer doesn't. Or, worse yet, he's rounding up the weight of half a pallet hoping that someone would assume he means 1000 bricks which would be a full pallet.

In any case, I'd clear up any confusion before going to too much trouble to get them.

in the unlikely event that it turns out to be $150.00 for 1000 bricks (a full pallet) then its a really good deal. And if you're in Massachusetts I'd like to know where the seller is located.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.