What is the difference between these two splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. The two splitters have different ram sizes as indicated by the different ton ratings which would mean that cycle times are not directly related to pump flow. The 9 HP engine is almost twice as large as is needed for the 11GPM pump and is a waste of fuel. The 9HP, 16 GPM pump is a good combo and the 30 ton rating is likely a 4.5" ram so cycle times will be good. I like the 16GPM model.

Have you checked out the log lift, 4 way wedge equipped model for only slightly more?

HF sucks in terms of backordered stuff. My last splitter order from them was cancelled by them when they could not produce the merchandise. Be sure that the splitter you want is available.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd considered the one you mentioned, but I have a lot of 32" and 34" diameter stuff to split - frankly, it doesn't look like that log lift would handle them (either in size or weight.)

I, too, got caught in the cancelled splitter order situation. These appeared on their site over the last couple of days, so it looks like they have new stock again.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Just noticed they have the 22 ton units (new) back in stock:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92199

They list the cycle time as 15 seconds (no listing on the other units - not even in the downloadable instruction manual.) I think the 22 ton might be enough for me - is the 16 gpm, 30 ton model likely to have faster times?

-=[ Grant ]=-

The 22 ton model is going to be your best bang for buck splitter. It has the robin engine which is not in the picture (it looks like an old flathead briggs). The robin is more of a honda clone. The larger splitters like the 30 ton are significantly more expensive on a percentage basis for not much more capability, and they'll use more fuel.

For your (western?)OR wood and my WA wood, the 22 should be plenty stout to split the softwood. Many reviews have been written on this 22 ton unit as well as the TSC 22 ton unit and very seldom do you hear about the 22 ton being inadeqaute for splitting.

Of the three HF splitters mentioned the 22 ton would be the fastest and the 24 ton the slowest. If they would out a 16 gpm pump on the 24 ton it would then be the fastest .

When buying from HF special order from a store and there is no shipping charge.

Highbeam said:
The 22 ton model is going to be your best bang for buck splitter. It has the robin engine which is not in the picture (it looks like an old flathead briggs). The robin is more of a honda clone. The larger splitters like the 30 ton are significantly more expensive on a percentage basis for not much more capability, and they'll use more fuel.

For your (western?)OR wood and my WA wood, the 22 should be plenty stout to split the softwood. Many reviews have been written on this 22 ton unit as well as the TSC 22 ton unit and very seldom do you hear about the 22 ton being inadeqaute for splitting.

Yes, I'm on the wet side of the state!

I'm splitting mainly fir and broadleaf maple, though occasionally I'll get some oak or a fruit tree. Would the 22 ton still be sufficient?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I’m copying this to multiple threads that talk about the HF splitter as I feel it’s important information. Hope the duplicates aren’t a problem- GR

I just got off the phone with Harbor Freight technical support and they gave me a very emphatic message - I was asking about the specs on the hydraulic fluid, as I could not find ANY information on what I should use in the actual manual… The tech support guy I talked with sounded like he knew what he was talking about (much better than some that I have encountered)

He gave two useful items of information - First off, even though the manual says the thing takes 2.5 gallons, it really will take more like 4.5 gallons.

More importantly, and most emphatically he said

DO NOT use DEXRON III or Mercon III ATF!!!

The given reason being that the ATF’s have a solvent in them that does not like the nitrile seals being used in the valve - actually he wasn’t 100% clear on whether it was the seals inside the valve, or the ones at the hose/valve body junctions, but either way, he said that the use of ATF would cause the seals to rapidly get eaten, and cause leaks…

The HF recomended fluid is AW 32 Hydraulic oil - other hydraulics would work, but aren’t as suitable.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.