What is the right size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent

Aug 28, 2008
Central Iowa
I am trying to make a choice on my first stove and am not sure what size I need. I have a drafty brick house with single pane windows. The house Has four down stairs rooms and is 900sqft. The down stairs is the primary place needing heating. The stove will hopfuly make my existing gas forced air heater a suplement. Thanks

Welcome trn, did you read this posting first?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/

In order to help can you provide a little more information? Are the rooms closed off from each other with a connecting hall or is this an open floorplan? Is the house 900 sq ft total or just the first floor?

If you want the fastest return on your money, get some good caulking and weatherstripping and aggressively go after those leaks. Then make some temporary storm windows out of plastic and put them up or spring for some wooden ones with glass.

As far as heaters, would a corn burner be practical or do you specifically want a wood stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.