what is this and what do i do with it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

foresterjohn

Nov 23, 2020
OBX, NC
Can someone point me in the right direction of what kind of insert this is so I can see what to do with it? Home was built in 1979.

The interior box is rusted out badly. I had a gas fireplace guy come look and he wasn't sure what to do. He suggested a ventless gas insert. Or bust open the bricks to seal up the holes and remove the insert. It sounds like ventless gas would be cheapest option. But I would really prefer a wood stove.

Thank you .

20201123_142247 (1).jpg

That looks similar to mine. I have a blower behind each of the lower vents. They draw in air from the room, heat it up and then blow warmer air out the top. Mine also has a vent blowing the warm air into the bedroom above. Works pretty good once everything heats up. I just converted to a wood insert in January. Since my new insert has it own blower, I haven't used the old one since.

I think If I were you I would go with a wood insert with a blower underneath and get an over sized backing plant and cover all 4 vents.

That looks similar to mine. I have a blower behind each of the lower vents. They draw in air from the room, heat it up and then blow warmer air out the top. Mine also has a vent blowing the warm air into the bedroom above. Works pretty good once everything heats up. I just converted to a wood insert in January. Since my new insert has it own blower, I haven't used the old one since.

I think If I were you I would go with a wood insert with a blower underneath and get an over sized backing plant and cover all 4 vents.

Did you need a new chimney liner?

Did you need a new chimney liner?
Absolutely. The metal firebox will need to be cut out in the damper area in order to allow the liner to fit through

I'm not sure you will need to seal up those holes. The ones I have are not drafty. They appear to be a separate system. Before my insert was installed they really heated up the room, but they never pulled in smoke from the fire box. If your box is rusted out and the air from your chimney leaks into those vents, then I would seal them up.