What is this crazy cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spuldup

Nov 1, 2022
We found this...cover... thing, by the water well head. By the edge of the woods. It is about 4 feet in diameter and heavy as hell. One can not lift it by hand. It seems to resist rust rather well. This is by an old spring house that we raized a few months ago. Nothing was underneath it. Anyone know what this was intended to do?

IMG_20230915_095008468.jpg

IMG_20230915_095000807_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230915_095019303_HDR.jpg

bird bath, flower pot, decorative architectural feature (upside down) . . . ?
Round post looks like it might attach lock in to something.

Reactions: Rob711
Was thinking the base of a fountain? We’d have a better idea if we saw the other side.

Lever and fulcrum time!

We have something like that here. The centre cover has a hand well pump
that still pumps water, under the cover is a dug well stone-lined. At one time
it pumped water into a trough for the horses to drink from

I too am voting upside down bird bath

I think it is a bowl to fountain. See something similar..

Reactions: begreen
I didn't get photos of it upside down (need the tractor to flip it) but I can say the casting on the bottom is not as precise as the side shown. As is it was meant to be presented form the side I have shown.

Bird bath was the first thought in my mind, when I saw the OP. I see that one already has two votes, so call mine third.