What is this from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey All,
My wife attempted another reload on my Model 91 insert. Things seamed to have gone wrong again. After work I went out back to get wood and saw a good amount of ash and stuff around the bottom of my chimney. Not sure if, and why, it was spewing from the chimney? There is a louvered vent nearby on chimney below fire box level. What is that? Roof is snow covered and impossible to get to the cap to see what is up. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 358
Chimney fire?

creosote burn off from a recent hot fire ? IMHO.

Bob

I found a large creosote flake in our yard (about 3" x 6") which I freaked out about, but it was just a big flake from the underside of the chimney cap. The liner really wasn't too bad. Small pieces like this make me think it came from the screen of your cap, launched by the wind?

Definitely looks like a possible chimney fire. It might not be but i think you need to check it out to make sure everything is ok

No worries . . . as mentioned . . . could be from a stove with a very good draft . . . gunk coming off the cap . . . etc. I get this from time to time, doubt it's from a chimney fire since I literally sweep the chimney every month.

Did she or you attemp to burn news paper or any kind of paper? With a strong draft windy days you might find pieces of burnt paper around.

Status
Not open for further replies.