What is this piece of (what looks like a wick) something

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
On top of the firebox, below the face plate, there is what looks like a long piece of wick or even a really skinny door gasket, that is barely sitting in there and keeps falling out. Do I need it there? Is is on the outside of the stove. Like laying on the top where I would put a pan of steaming soup, top of that piece, under the face plate that is sitting on the top. Is it just for some extra padding? It just won't stay in there.

I think you need to post a picture or two.

Sounds like gasket. If it is just on top then perhaps it is to sit pans on without scratching the stove top.

It sounds like the sticky faced gasket that is applied to the underside of the top trim plate.
It's there to:
1. Protect the surface above the door - where it sits - & the underside of the plate, especially on the enamel units.
2. Prevent the top trim plate from rattling from the blower unit when it's running
A little RTV silicone should hold it securely...

Status
Not open for further replies.