What is this plate in my Jotul Combifire 1a?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jprem

Jan 13, 2024
CT
Hello,

Could somebody please explain what this metal plate is in my Jotul? I don't see any mention of it in the manual. It can be pushed open and closed. Is there an optimal position for it? Thanks in advance.

PXL_20240113_142504374.jpg

Looks like a bypass damper. Open it to start a fire and then close it once the fire is burning well. After the fire has died down, open it before opening the stove door.

This is for closed door burning, leave it open when burning with the door open like a fireplace.

I just looked at the manual and it mentions this in the stove operation section. They call it the damper at the stove outlet. The wording is vague.

Looks like a bypass damper. Open it to start a fire and then close it once the fire is burning well. After the fire has died down, open it before opening the stove door.

This is for closed door burning, leave it open when burning with the door open like a fireplace.

I just looked at the manual and it mentions this in the stove operation section. They call it the damper at the stove outlet. The wording is vague.
Wow. Thanks for the clarification. I was totally misreading that section. So I want to fully open the bypss damper when lighting and then fully close it once the logs are lit? Can I leave it partially open? I've been using this Jotul as my main source of heat the last few seasons without any issues. I burn Envi 8 blocks. I swept the stove pipe a few days ago and must have closed the bypass damper by accident. When I lit a fire a few hours later I had a smoking issue due it. Now that I'm more aware of this bypass damper, I'm questioning how open it's been the last few years. I haven't really considered it or messed with it this entire time up until a few days ago.

Can I leave it partially open?
Yes, that may be necessary if draft is weak. With a cold stove observe it's operation. When closed it shouldn't completely block the flue outlet. The point is to slow down the fire and keep more heat in the stove instead of heading straight up the flue. Just remember to open it before reloading or starting a new fire.

Yes, that may be necessary if draft is weak. With a cold stove observe it's operation. When closed it shouldn't completely block the flue outlet. The point is to slow down the fire and keep more heat in the stove instead of heading straight up the flue. Just remember to open it before reloading or starting a new fire.
Gotcha. I appreciate the insight and advice. Thanks again!

I have another question. If you think that large metal plate is the bypass damper, then what is the smaller round plate behind it? That small round plate is controlled by this knob on the back of the stove. The large metal plate can only be moved by opening the stove. It can be tilted back and forth. When reading the manual I interpret "open the damper at the smoke outlet" as that knob in the back which controls the smaller round plate. I'm still confused about the proper placement of that larger plate. It seems odd that Im supposed to open the door and manually close it while a fire is lit. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

PXL_20240114_021744417.jpg