What is too low for moisture readings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this topic has really taken off...my plan is to save the dry ash until at least December, and burn all my ugly wood and small splits in the fall.

Well, I would guess all my KD fir isn't as dry as it used to be since it does rain in Oregon and is just in a pile waiting for me to get there and do something with it. I still can't see hauling it to a dump only to turn around and buy wood to burn. I'll stack it off the ground and use it with some splits (once I split my logs from the trees that got felled to build my house that are stacked in the back waiting for me). _g

Well, I would guess all my KD fir isn't as dry as it used to be since it does rain in Oregon and is just in a pile waiting for me to get there and do something with it. I still can't see hauling it to a dump only to turn around and buy wood to burn. I'll stack it off the ground and use it with some splits (once I split my logs from the trees that got felled to build my house that are stacked in the back waiting for me). _g
It won't soak up water like a sponge ,2-3 days with no rain it will be dry

I had alot of dead ash that I took down in March and April, As a test I re-split some on the wood. My meter read 12% to 18% is this bad? I plan on burning all of that wood this winter.

This is very bad news - I will help by taking that wood off your hands....lol
Don't worry be happy, you are in good shape.

Reactions: HDRock
Simple solution: buy a catalytic stove.

I could run my stove < 500F stuffed full of KD framing lumber. The cat combuster might rocket up to 2200F, but the stove top and body can be whatever temperature I want. I would assume your BK has even better control.

I've had my catalytic stove overfire from extra dry wood also, its no magic solution.

At 2200F the platinum wash is probably melting off the cat. I *once* had mine get away from me and hit 2000F.... scared the living &%*#$ out of me as the entire inside back of the stove was glowing orange and flames where shooting out of the cat into toward the firebox (the high temp was causing spontaneous secondary combustion in front of the cat).

Last edited:
I've had my catalytic stove overfire from extra dry wood also, its no magic solution.

At 2200F the platinum wash is probably melting off the cat. I *once* had mine get away from me and hit 2000F.... scared the living &%*#$ out of me as the entire inside back of the stove was glowing orange and flames where shooting out of the cat into toward the firebox (the high temp was causing spontaneous secondary combustion in front of the cat).
Yeah, but you run a VC. :p

I've not had a cat go above 2000F, myself, but have seen reports here of it . Must be scary. Only time I've had cat over temp problems has been with the SteelCats, and even then I was only hitting 1900F.

Is there a replacement cat probe for a BK that has actual temp readings on it as well as the "active" markings?

Status
Not open for further replies.