1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is your rule on when to burn???

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by claybe, Jan 24, 2013.

1. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    We use to only burn when it was below freezing and we had a furnace. Now we have a new place with radiant heat. It is supposed to be in the mid thirties tonight and in the 50s tomorrow don't think I will lite a fire tonight because it is 70 inside and the heat isn't on. What is your rule on when to lite a fire???
    Jon1270 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    We have very precise rules in this house. I light the stove when my wife tells me to.

KaptJaq
  3. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I make a fire when the storage tank gets down to the 110-130 range... I realize this doesn't help a ton, but i just can't recommend heat storage enough.
  4. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    When the house gets down to 68::F and the forecast isn't going to warm it.
    burnt03, WoodpileOCD and n3pro like this.
  5. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    Any excuse I can make to light up! If it even touches 50 outside at night, and dips below 70 inside, I light
  6. Regency139

Regency139 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    When the temperature drops below 40 outside my stove gets lit.
  7. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Considering its my main source of heat usually when the inside temp drops below 75
    Hearth Mistress likes this.
  8. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    I'll light the stove whenever I feel a chill. If I. Get to warm open the house up to air it out.
    Beer Belly likes this.
  9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    When I'm cold. It's our main source of heat.
    PA Fire Bug and Hearth Mistress like this.
  10. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    I used to just supplement the propane, then I wanted to use less propane, then I got addicted and hate to hear the furnace kick on at all. I used to have a rule when it got 45 or below by 7 PM which would give me enough time to get a small starter fire and a reload before bed. Then the temperature outside began to become less relevant and inside temperature did. Now if the house gets below 70 and when I get home the stove gets lit. If it's in the mid 70's and don't look like it is going to drop too low then I just leave the furnace maintain the heat. Of course this is subject to change without notice.
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    When it is cold. It is our only heat source.
    mfglickman likes this.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We burn when we are chilly. That's more of a psychological thing. The house can be at 70F, but if it's 45F outside, wet and windy and you get a chill, light a fire. Generally once it's above 50F we don't burn unless we want a small warmup fire. Shoulder season burns for 45-50F and 24/7 below about 43F
    Jon1270 likes this.
  13. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    Pretty much when it gets below 70 inside and it's not going to warm up on its own from the sun.
  14. nate379

nate379 Guest

Outdoor temps below mid 30s and indoor temps below 65ish.
    Regency139 likes this.
  15. realstihl

realstihl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern kansas
    No rules here. When I get cold.
    mfglickman and Beer Belly like this.
  16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    When I am cold = woodstove is going.
  17. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Light it sometime mid to late October - let it go out sometime in March/April with occasional cool down under 200 to check flue and run a brush through if needed.
  18. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I light the stove whenever heat is needed between about the beginning of November and the end of March, which includes most days. If it is sort of warm I may let the fire burn out overnight or during the afternoon. If it is cold outside I'll make an efort to keeo the stove hot all day and night. Before about Novermber and after April I don't generally have the urge to use the stove, and we don't need much heat so I let the electric baseboard heaters do the job.
  19. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    When it's cold, it's our only heat source.
    When we cook, it's our stove top and oven. My wife cooks, bakes and cans a LOT.
    When we want hot water, clothes dryer (winter), chicken broder....... basically stays lit.
    Summer = summer grate - bypass open into chimney not heating stove.
    Lots of open windows and shaded house. No A/C
    Here's green leaves mid-summer with smoke;

2012 Summer Burn.JPG
  20. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    There are several rules I have in placed on 10 sheets of legal paper outlining the conditions needed before lighting the stove, but then I get the urge to have a fire and use the paper the rules are written on to light the kindling.
    n3pro and PapaDave like this.
  21. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Whenever the house gets chilly. Very subjective. Ask my wife, then ask me, you'll get 2 different answers. See how easy this isn't?;)
    House doesn't hold heat well enough due to inadequate insulation and the stove won't keep temp long enough, so I fire up sooner than some.
  22. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I burn 24/7 since 2004 despite having a new gas furnace,I don't care for utility companies.So basically it's our only heat source in my opinion.
    Mitch Newton likes this.
  23. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Like others here.....when the Wife, or I, get a chill
  24. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    When it's too warm in the house, I don't light a fire. As an example, if the house is 74 at 9 p.m., and I know it's going to stay above 30 degrees overnight,
    my house is only going to fall into the high or mid 60's. So I'll use that opportunity to let the fire go out and clean out the ashes in the morning.
  25. mtcox

mtcox Member

Loc:
    Stafford, Virginia
    I'm probably part of the majority and burn because it's a better heat and a lot cheaper than running a furnace or heat pump. Here in Virginia, it's about as cold as it's been in 2 or more years. Having said that, with today's high efficiency heat pumps and furnaces, you'll have to come up with your own "formula". If it doesn't get below 40 degrees at night, I let the heat pump do its work. It might cycle 3-4 times in an 8 hour period. This allows the HVAC system to filter the indoor air. The wife's allergies don't do well heating with wood 24/7 (unless it's been like these past few days with highs in the 20's and she sucks it up). If nighttime temperatures are between 30 and 40, I fire up the Quadrafire. Once we're below 30, I fire up the second stove (Hampton H300). However, even with both stoves running now, I struggle to get to 74 during the day and 68 at night. I have a house built in 1947 to blame for that.