What is your T/stat setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djk555

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'm interested in hearing about how you set your furnace T/stat when you are going to be away for a few days during burning weather. I have a forced air electric furnace with a programable thermostate. The temperature during my away time will go down to around -5C (23F) at night and up to about +2C (35F) during the day. How low can you go?
David

I never get to go anywhere :long: , but if I ever did get to go somewhere I would probably set my T/stat for about 10 °C so it's not too cold in the house when I get home.

BTW where in BC are you David, and welcome to the forum.

When we are not going to be around to tend the fire (which is not only limited to "Vacations") I leave my thermostat at 50ºF.

-Soupy1957

Thermostats are always set at 60 degrees F . . . whether I'm home or not . . . it's my back-up in case I'm sick, lazy, etc.

firefighterjake said:
Thermostats are always set at 60 degrees F . . . whether I'm home or not . . . it's my back-up in case I'm sick, lazy, etc.

+1 I really don't want to come home (after an extended period of being away) at 9pm to a house that's 50° and then have to be up until midnight trying to warm the whole house up to 70 before going to bed. If it was just me it wouldn't bother me that much to have the house at 50° but i feel bad for the rest of the family who has to take showers and get to bed at a decent time. Plus taking a bath in a 50° bathroom is downright cold.

Whats a T/stat? Us off the grid types would like to know.
We only have wood heat but we still manage to ski to the neighbors [road is snowed in] for a days visit every once and a while even if its -30, below that we stay home. I should be honest we are getting older so I think its more like -20 as a bottom for skiing and the nearest neighbor is only 3 miles on easy track.

Been heating with wood for 9yrs and this will be the 3rd yr 100% wood. I've found that a warm house will hold pretty much all day and during the coldest period we don't go for any extended time.

I'm away from the cabin all week, so my stat is at 45. The heat is electric and pipes are drained, so the house could be left without heat. This is the first issue, can you lower the heat without freezing and breaking pipes. Even if you could I don't think no heat is good for the building, moisture builds up in everything. The problem with 45, for me is how long it took to bring up the cold house and walls when we you arrived. The electric heat would raise the temp about 3 degrees an hour, and the wood stove about the same. It took 3 or 4 hours to be comfortable. Now I have 7 day programmable stat switch that sets the heat to 65, 7 hours before we arrive. If you don't know when you will arrive, there are ways to adjust the stat by phone.

Tom

66. Just in case I decide to stay gone a bit, or it's a pretty warm day and in "heat pump" temperature range, I just let it keep the house at 66. When the stove is lit, it's usually 6-10 degrees warmer in the house...

I could set the stat to a hundred. Wouldn't matter. Breaker has been popped for a decade. The heat pump died from lack of use and old age sometime back in the nineties. Really don't know when.

The digital stats on the backup oil filled radiator heaters are set at fifty degrees and the one in the basement at forty for the pipes.

I would set my thermostat at 40-45 if I was going to be away for a few days just to save the pipes. The couple hours of discomfort when coming home is worth the savings, I'm on Fuel Oil and it ain't cheap. Normally I have the T-stat programed for 70deg from 6:30am-9am then dowm to 65 til 6pm where it goes back to 70 deg till 10pm then down to 55.

I don't go anywhere usually in the winter but if I did I would set the thermostat around 50-55 degrees. I have an old house that take awhile to heat up. I try to heat 100% with wood. Extremely unusal for the NG to turn on in the winter and the line is disconnected for most of the year anyway.

I don't go anywhere usually in the winter but if I did I would set the thermostat around 50-55 degrees. I have an old house that take awhile to heat up. I try to heat 100% with wood. Extremely unusual for the NG to turn on in the winter and the line is disconnected for most of the year anyway.

Don't have a thermostat other than the one on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.