what kind of adapter do i need here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wlf89

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2010
middle TN
ok so bought a new heater this year, a england 30. with my old stove i just used single wall snap together pipe. but for this one i bought telescoping double wall pipe. now the double wall wont fit into the collar that extends down from my ceiling support box. can anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to make this work? or would i be better of to just get single wall telescoping pipe?

IMG_20181005_110707784[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the black pipe down off the box, there should be a stainless steel ring holding it to the black box, remove ring re-attach stainless steel ring to ceiling support and attach new double wall to the ring.

ok so bought a new heater this year, a england 30. with my old stove i just used single wall snap together pipe. but for this one i bought telescoping double wall pipe. now the double wall wont fit into the collar that extends down from my ceiling support box. can anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to make this work? or would i be better of to just get single wall telescoping pipe?

View attachment 230290
It look like there is still a short peice of single wall pipe there take that off and your pipe will probably fit. If not you may need to get a double to single wall adapter. Or the chimney flange may need crimped so it fits into the pipe. Unfortunatly connector pipe and chimney pipe are not nessecarily all exactly the same size. There are times you need to adjust things.

that piece hanging down isnt a piece of stove pipe. its a flange that is part of the support box. the only way to take it out would be to remove the chimney pipe above it.

that piece hanging down isnt a piece of stove pipe. its a flange that is part of the support box. the only way to take it out would be to remove the chimney pipe above it.
Ok then that part may need crimped. Or an adapter may take care of it. I dont know i have never seen a flange that long it is odd

Might be simpler to just do single wall. How high is the ceiling? How tall is the chimney above the support box?

Double-wall is better but that should provide sufficient draft if you decide to stick with single wall.

i would really like to keep the double wall since i have already bought it and it should last longer, i think i can make the flange hanging from support box slide into the pipe, vs the old way of the single wall sliding into the flange. but i guess either way is ok.

i would really like to keep the double wall since i have already bought it and it should last longer, i think i can make the flange hanging from support box slide into the pipe, vs the old way of the single wall sliding into the flange. but i guess either way is ok.
Your single wall pipe should have slid over that piece hanging down, not inside it.
Are you sure that you have the double wall pipe pointing the correct direction?

Sometimes we trim those adaptors down and crimp them to make them work.

single slid right in, dont think could have ever got it on the outside of the flange. and yes i have the double pointing the right way it even has sticker on it saying which way is up.

single slid right in, dont think could have ever got it on the outside of the flange. and yes i have the double pointing the right way it even has sticker on it saying which way is up.
Well if single wall slid inside of it then it’s the wrong adaptor I’d say. Somethings not right.