What kind of burn times are you getting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubbyG

Jul 16, 2008
CT
'Lo all,

Did THE inaugural burn on my Opel II today and I have to say I am quite pleased with it compared to our old heatilator (actually an 'el fuego' unit that I think was made in CT ages ago, which the Opel replaced.)

As with many of my more expensive purchases, I have been driving myself nuts with buyer's remorse and the 18" log capacity, although the unit has a 3.6 cf firebox and will handle logs closer to 20" toward the front. Like Begreen expertly stated in a previous post, it is more the firebox capacity over manufacturer hype that will determine longer burn times, so I am reassured in that regard.

My original question of burn times turned out to be multipart:

1) With the above being said, I am curious as to what others are getting for burn times with their particular model of stove/fireplace

2) What do you presume to be the definition of burn time? Time until you still can throw another piece of cord firewood on the coals, or time until you no longer see a red ember?

3) How should the flame 'look' at that optimal setting for maximum burn time? I have been fiddling with various damper settings and I guess I will find out in the morning, but curious if there is that sweet spot when the flames look a certain way or burn in a certain fashion that gives optimal heat and burn time.

Sorry if this is too analytical...just really digging the efficient woodburning thing and the heat that goes along with it. Just answer as much as ya feel like answering, I spose... ;)

thnx!

Quad 3100i 7-8 hours usable heat, 10 hours still restartable.

Englander 13NCL 6 hours usable heat 7-9 hours restartable.

Both stoves are burning 1.5 year old seasoned red fir.

Status
Not open for further replies.