What Kind of Fireplace do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giantshark18

Hearth Supporter
Jun 18, 2008
Northern CA
Hello,

I cannot for the life of me figure out if I have a Masonry or Pre-fab fireplace. I seem to have bits of both. The inside seems to be all metal which would suggest a pre-fab, but the chimney is brick on the outside completely, and more importantly, the original doors for the fireplace were rod iron mesh, not glass. There is a pipe for natural gas coming out of the wall, but we have always burned real wood.

The house was built in 1978.

Here are some pictures from before we refaced and from today. We want to buy glass doors but do not know what kind to buy.

Attachments

• IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Fire3.jpg
    Fire3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 254
Curious. What are the holes on the lower sides for, outside air? Is the lower picture with the TV the today shot?

If the goal is to turn this fireplace into a source of heat, perhaps consider a stove instead of glass doors.

I am not sure what the holes are for. I am assuming it is for fresh air?

The shot with the TV is the original design. It was all brick. We covered part with slate and the other with sheetrock.

It's masonry, you just have a steel prefab firebox. For all intents and purposes it is classified as a masonry fireplace.

Alright, so its masonry, thats good news. It seems most non-custom doors are for masonry fire places. Also, what did you mean regarding the gas line? Are there new options I should know about?

Thanks,
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.