1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

what kind of lawn mower do you have?? pic request

Post in 'The Gear' started by Stevebass4, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    1939 VC Case with a 60" Woods deck is the big mower (its tuned up to about 28 HP), and for the trimming I use a 1976 Allis Chalmers Hydrostatic (bullet proof) with a 48" deck. The only thing I walk behind is a 4 stroke string trimmer/cultivator/edger/pole saw.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Unknown vintage John Deere F910. Pure pleasure to operate.

Attached Files:

3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I've nothing to mow, thus I have no mower. Back in Virginia, where I did have something to mow, I rode a little MTD lawn tractor with a 38" deck (fit through the gates) and a Briggs & Stratton engine. I think it was about a 12 horse, don't really remember. Reconfigured (jury rigged) the throttle after the original fell apart. Replaced the plastic starter gear ring on the engine with the re-engineered metal one. Replaced the battery. Had a sheet metal shop bend me a new battery shelf. Disassembled, de-rusted and repainted most of it. Put tubes in the rear tires. Replaced the front tires. Replaced the start solenoid. Used it for much more than just mowing, as I had a little trailer to drag behind. All this over the course of ~11 years of good service out of the thing, and it was running strong when I gave it to a friend in advance of our move to Oregon. Rick
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I wish I could say the same. Dang lawn. Maybe I should get some goats or sheep. :-/
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I really like my low maintenance landscape out here. Whatever we plant will be native stuff that belongs here. We'll prob'ly sod about 1500 ft² in the back yard, but no more than that. I can do that with a real "push mower". Moving from the rain forest of Virginia to the high desert of Oregon is a definite change of lifestyle in many ways. I haven't used either of my weed whackers or my hedge trimmer or my leaf blowers since I left there. Oh yeah, I forgot to say about the mower that I rewired my old MTD to remove all the safety switches. That way, I could mow in reverse...very handy. Rick
  6. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Exmark 60" zero-turn, 48" Scag walk-behind, and 32" Troy Bilt walk-behind.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    are you a lawn jocky or a very smart home owner with alot of acers
  8. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Old Crapsman 'lectric mower, 16" bought used (for $75.00) the year I moved into the house ('bout 10 years ago). I use it a few times a year to mow down the weeds. I don't believe in "lawns" in So. Calif. -- monument to wasted water is what I call them. My wife wants a real lawn in the back (purty small, actually), so at some point I'll have to do some work back there. When I do get that done, it will be small enough to mow with the old-style (manual) push mower. Bought that one for $10 at a yard sale and paid $25 to have the blades sharpened, but it don't work so well on overgrown weeds.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  9. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    I paid for part of my collage education by playing 'lawn jockey'. My lawn is only about .4 acres (I live on the shore). I have a 3.5 car garage, the house, and a long/wide driveway taking up much of the lawn. Using the 60", it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to mow my lawn. :cheese:

Gotta have the right tools for the job... it's kind of like having the 120cc saws for bucking up firewood. :)
  10. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    1977 jd 212
    [​IMG]

2005 jd 110 - this is me and the kids in the 4th of july parade with the radio station i work for... we do the "redneck games" every year, and the local jd dealer is a big sponsor. so that year we had a whole bunch of jd's in the parade with us.
    [​IMG]

the jd110 serves double duty, mowing in the summer and pushing snow in the winter. I cant find the rest of my pics of it... oh well.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I done that gig through collage as well,useing push mowers on 5000sqft lawns 30= accounts 20.00 bucks a pop. Your equiment is good for 60+ acers a week, exmark and scag doesn't get any better!l
  12. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    I've got a 19?? Bunton 48" walk behind. It's a tank of a mower. I bought it used, hoping to save a few bucks. Then the almost new engine on it took a dump; dead mouse in the cooling duct which caused the grass to pack in. After that, I threw a blade belt and realized my spindles were shot...replaced those and the belts too. So, I didn't exactly save much money. But the mower has lot of new parts on it. And will probably last a good long time since I'm just a homeowner using it weekly.

Old pic...I painted the deck and the cover John Deere green since this was taken.

Attached Files:

13. Later

Later New Member

Had been a Snapper fan, owned two self propelled walk behind over 30 years. Love the Thatcherizer and Snapperizer attachments. Just picked up a Cub Cadet self propelled for SWMBO. Mulch everthing.
  14. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Lawnmower, rototiller, wood hauler, skidder for small jobs where a landowner doesn't want a real one, landscaper, poop hauler, and whatever else needs done.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.