What kind of moisture meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
I just discovered you can get an inexpensive moisture meter. Any specific suggestions? What do most homeowner users get?

The "General" model sold at Lowes/HD or Harbor Freight sold online or in there stores. Those are prob 2 of the most popular here.

I own the General. Used it quite a bit last year, but not so much this year. I actually haven't touched it.

Once you get a couple 2-3 yrs ahead, the need for the meter, no longer exists.

Both of the above models are in the $20 range (+ or -).

Reactions: Realstone
I have a Harbor Freight cheapy somewhere. It gives me a bunch of whacked out readings that I know can't be right. Mulberry split and stacked in a single row in the wide open for almost 1.5 years at 33%, cherry rounds at 18-19%, oak in the stacks for 3+ years at 30%. Should've taken the eleven bucks and bought a sixer of Two Hearted.

I have a Harbor Freight cheapy somewhere. It gives me a bunch of whacked out readings that I know can't be right. Mulberry split and stacked in a single row in the wide open for almost 1.5 years at 33%, cherry rounds at 18-19%, oak in the stacks for 3+ years at 30%. Should've taken the eleven bucks and bought a sixer of Two Hearted.
LOL. Like a lot of guys, I've had a love/hate relationship with HF. I think in the long run, I've done okay by being careful, but I think I'm done with them now for the most part. Pretty much. I did take a gander at that meter, though, I'll admit.
As for the meter, I just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Digital-Moisture-Content-Display/dp/B004KWAQAI/ref=pd_cp_hi_1 Still made in China, of course, but reviews seem favorable. The General looked fine, but this was cheaper and seems fine too.

I have a Lignomat. It seems pretty accurate, but retails for around $130.00

Status
Not open for further replies.