What kind of stove do I want, and what do I need to know about chimneys etc.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomob

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2009
S.W. Michigan
Hi,
I'm looking to get a small stove to heat a one-car garage where I plan to work on my motorcycles over the winter. There are a couple for sale locally that are both less than $75. One appears to be a steel stove, and the other an older Sears Roebuck cast iron model, I'm not clear if either have chimneys included. What will heat more efficiently? Will either work for me, and what questions should I be asking the sellers. Pics below.

searsstove1.jpg

searsstove2.jpg

steelstove.jpg

It would probably be best to start at the local building inspectors office. Many places will not allow solid fuel heaters in garages due to the explosive vapors that could be floating around.

Matt

definitely start with what the inspectors and homeowners insurance will require. If the stoves don't have owner's manuals with clearances listed, most inspectors that we've dealt with will go to the default of 36" to combustible materials. Check with your local code for installations in a garage, the code here will allow it, but the hearth has to be a minimum of 18" high.

First step before deciding what stove you want is to check with your home owner's insurance and local Fire Inspector to see if woodstoves are allowed in garages and if so if there are any specific regulations regarding this type of install . . . many places will not allow woodstoves in a garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.