what kind of tree is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
This is one of my 2 favorite trees of the ones surrounding my house. It has a big heavy vine growing on/around its trunk such that it's hard to get a good shot of the bark.

It's tall, and wide, and drops these nuts that my dogs chomp down almost as soon as they hit the ground. I could not reach any green leaves but photographed some brown ones that had fallen.

I'm guessing from past pics on this forum that it's hickory but would love to know for sure.

1348512358_zps84d33810.jpg

1348512356_zpsc276dad6.jpg

1348512353_zps06d985b5.jpg

Picture on you post didn't make it.

Dog food tree? :)

Your guess was correct. Shagbark to be exact.

Reactions: ScotO
Hickory nut, not sure if it is shag bark, there are lots of different Hickory trees (Pignut, etc.). I would cut that vine, it is not good for the tree. Cut it in the fall (now) is the best time to prevent it from coming back. One easy cut will kill the whole vine.

The good to eat hickory nut. Lots of work for a small bite but delicious.
Shagbark. Thick husk covering the nut.
I agree with g&w, I'd cut off the leech sucking vine ASAP.

Reactions: Thistle
Hickory nut, not sure if it is shag bark, there are lots of different Hickory trees (Pignut, etc.). I would cut that vine, it is not good for the tree. Cut it in the fall (now) is the best time to prevent it from coming back. One easy cut will kill the whole vine.

I'm also thinking "not shagbark." Our shagbark hickory trees have rounder shells inside round husks.

Could be Mockernut hickory:
mocrnut.jpeg thumbnail-2.aspx.jpeg

Shagbark nuts:
thumbnail.aspx.jpeg

i,m gonna say it is a shag bark....had one in the yard at my old house

I'd say shagbark. Mockernut bark looks different. Lots of 'em around here, love burning them.......those little nuts are good on vanilla ice cream, with maple syrup drizzled on the top..........dammit I'm hungry for ice cream!!

Reactions: Thistle
Congratulations Mary. Cherish that hickory. Around here most of them have been cut as have been the walnut trees.

I have fond memories of gathering the hickory nuts. After getting the outer shell off, we used to put the nuts in onion bags and then hang them (using wire, not string) from rafters on our old enclosed back porch. Then some time in January or February every year we'd get some down and have a day or three cracking the nuts and picking out the meat. Of course fudge was always the first thing on order after all that work but it was worth it.

I would not worry about the vine unless the vine is covering a significant part of the crown of the tree. I can't tell what kind of vine that is (except that it does not appear to be Poison Ivy) but there are a lot of native vines that add a lot to the wildlife habitat of the forest. Many vines produce fruit that birds eat, and vine tangles are good feeding and resting cover for many types of birds, squirrels, etc. Vines can harm trees but usually the harm is done when a vine covers so much of the leafy crown of the tree that it shades the tree or the weight of the vine breaks large parts of the tree. Vines like Virginia Creeper (quite common in many places) don't usually grow out into the canopy at all, but stick to the large branches where they don't harm the tree. I don't think any vines in our area send roots or shoots into the tree trunk - they just attach to the outside to hold on.

On the other hand there are a few non-native vines that I'd get rid of. Some of those vines can get out of hand and overgrow the tree. If you can get shots of the vine leaves maybe I can ID the vine for you.

The tree is definitely a hickory and I'd guess Shagbark based on the bark. The bark isn't quite shaggy enough in the picture, but maybe it is shaggier elsewhere on the tree, and some Shagbarks aren't quite as shaggy as others. The nut looks like it might not be fully grown - perhaps it is one that fell off early. The leaf with only four leaflets showing appears to be a partial leaf. no hickory should have four-part leaves. Five is the minimum and I guess your leaf was a five parter when it was whole. Shagbark leaves usually have five or seven parts with a mix of the two on the same tree.

Reactions: ScotO
Definitely Shagbark. Though the nuts are normally round,its not unusual to see some that are slightly oval.Mockernut is very similar looking,smaller kernel & much harder to extract though.Mockernut has diamond hatched rough furrowed bark,not 'shaggy' with age like Shagbark or Shellbark.Love them in banana bread (almost as much as Black Walnuts) and chocolate chip cookies.

Seems to be a decent year for hickory nuts around here,I picked up a couple pounds on my last few walks.Even better for Black Walnuts,must be almost 2 bushel in the husks in backyard & my 2 neighbors on the ground,a bunch left still in the trees.Not picking up any this year,still have 2 bushel hulled in the shed from last year.Leaving these for the squirrels & chipmunks,they've been busy the past few weeks gathering them.

My dogs love the nuts as well. Squirels start knocking them out of the trees around my house in early August.

The best way I've found to pick them is with an old cut nail. Just crack them on a chopping round with a hammer and then take inside and piddle away on a rainy cold day.

You can roast them on a baking sheet or freeze for winter baking, excellent touch of flavor to fudge or brownies.

Avoid eating too many green, they'll "induce" the same results of green pecans or peanuts.

Thanks all! This is exciting. I've never had a nut tree before, and I love the look of this one, it's huge, and only about 20 feet from the patio so it provides nice shade, a pleasant rustle and a great view from the entire back of the house. :)

I would not worry about the vine unless the vine is covering a significant part of the crown of the tree. I can't tell what kind of vine that is (except that it does not appear to be Poison Ivy) but there are a lot of native vines that add a lot to the wildlife habitat of the forest. Many vines produce fruit that birds eat, and vine tangles are good feeding and resting cover for many types of birds, squirrels, etc. Vines can harm trees but usually the harm is done when a vine covers so much of the leafy crown of the tree that it shades the tree or the weight of the vine breaks large parts of the tree. Vines like Virginia Creeper (quite common in many places) don't usually grow out into the canopy at all, but stick to the large branches where they don't harm the tree. I don't think any vines in our area send roots or shoots into the tree trunk - they just attach to the outside to hold on.

On the other hand there are a few non-native vines that I'd get rid of. Some of those vines can get out of hand and overgrow the tree. If you can get shots of the vine leaves maybe I can ID the vine for you...

^^ Yup, fer sure. Identify the vine before you decide what, if anything, to do about it. It's more likely to be overall beneficial to the ecosystem than it is to be a threat to the tree. Rick

I would love to try to grow some hickory . . . or even walnuts . . . anyone want to trade for some red oak acorns?

I would love to try to grow some hickory . . . or even walnuts . . . anyone want to trade for some red oak acorns?
I'd send you some nuts from either of the walnut and hickory on my property - don't know if they are the varities hardy in Maine though.

I'd send you a few bushels of white oak acorns if needed as well, oh and this winter I'd be happy to send the bushels of sweetgum balls that I'll clean from the yard;)

I'd send you some nuts from either of the walnut and hickory on my property - don't know if they are the varities hardy in Maine though.

I'd send you a few bushels of white oak acorns if needed as well, oh and this winter I'd be happy to send the bushels of sweetgum balls that I'll clean from the yard;)

Thats a nice State Park there where you live, and pretty country, I lived in Calara Al for a few yrs.

Reactions: basod

Be very careful with the white oak acorns. If you try to keep some, it won't take but a few days and bugs will be coming out of them and you'll have a big mess.

do I need to post some pics of the chestnut oaks acorns? Yeah you want those htting your roof

Status
Not open for further replies.