What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Runnin

Apr 17, 2020
SE PA
What kind of wood is this?

Hi there, new guy here. Been lurking a few months. This Just popped up near by. Is it good stuff.

Looks like white oak family. Definitely good wood

Agree it looks like oak, probably white. Almost all free wood is good, free hardwood is golden... That stuff looks prime.

looks like R.Oak to me

Reactions: D8Chumley
I agree on the red oak. IMO 3 yrs to season in single rows.

Reactions: Lakeside
I will not disagree with the two posters above. The red oak i see in my woods has much smoother bark.

Like thisWhat kind of wood is this?

The bark is tricky for me on this photo/tree. But my feeling is it's red oak.

Thanks for the replies. I grabbed as much as I could get in my pickup. Those rounds were larger than I thought based on the picture. I was glad my son was with me.

IMO 3 yrs to season in single rows.

Really? Even if split? Wow, that’s a long time.

Seasoning doesn't really start until its split. I laugh at the loggers who sell "seasoned" logs around here.

Oak is generally a 2 year bare minimum after splitting. Some guys say 3-5 years. Same with other really dense wood like beech and I think these guys say locust and hickory, but I've never had those. Ash is the opposite, burns & heats ok even if not super well seasoned, but it's still best to give it a year.

A lot depends on climate, where/how you stack, how big or small the splits are, etc.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Seasoning doesn't really start until its split. I laugh at the loggers who sell "seasoned" logs around here.

Oak is generally a 2 year bare minimum after splitting. Some guys say 3-5 years. Same with other really dense wood like beech and I think these guys say locust and hickory, but I've never had those. Ash is the opposite, burns & heats ok even if not super well seasoned, but it's still best to give it a year.

A lot depends on climate, where/how you stack, how big or small the splits are, etc.

I've always had good luck with beech with only one year of seasoning. Always countless variables like you mentioned (i.e., climate) however for me, beech is right there with birch and ash as the go to firewood if I can only season for one year.

Thanks for the replies. I grabbed as much as I could get in my pickup. Those rounds were larger than I thought based on the picture. I was glad my son was with me.

Really? Even if split? Wow, that’s a long time.
Yes. I burn a lot of red oak. I would say three years is my target goal. It slows rapidly after the first year. Great wood though. Splits easy, smells like money, and burns great.

Your drying conditions and split size will make a big difference. Split moderately, top covered in the sun and wind, 2 yrs will likely get you at least close enough to 20%mc. If not covered in crappy drying location you will need more time.

I've always had good luck with beech with only one year of seasoning. Always countless variables like you mentioned (i.e., climate) however for me, beech is right there with birch and ash as the go to firewood if I can only season for one year.
That is awesome news!

I have more than enough split and stacked for fall, but have been assuming the beech won't be ready. Been trying to scrounge as much ash as possible because that's usually drier, seasons well, and will burn & heat decently even if it's not 20%. Unfortunately, the last few loads of ash have been mostly 40%... It's split and stacked, so we'll see.

I have the uneasy feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of sorting in fall... ash that was 30% should be good, ash that was 40% not so much; beech split in fall might be good, beech split over winter more questionable... Working on getting several years ahead so I don't have this headache in the future. Was always able to deal with it with the old smoke dragon. New EPA stove does NOT like poorly seasoned stuff. Had to completely change my fire building technique for 23% maple compared to 15-18% ash.