What kind of wood stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it is a pretty large stove I'm curious how you ran the pipe from the from flue to the chimney. Seems like it would need a lot of strange bends.
Wasn't to bad the liner is some what flexible. so I ended up using two elbows slightly bent just because the flue coming from the stove was a little higher than the front of the fireplace. The other is a 90 to hook to the liner.

Wasn't to bad the liner is some what flexible. so I ended up using two elbows slightly bent just because the flue coming from the stove was a little higher than the front of the fireplace. The other is a 90 to hook to the liner.
so your pipe runs down hill? I foresee many performance issues in your future.

Reactions: pen
yep hot exhaust gases do not lke down hill slopes.

I'll post a pic of it later. it's not too bad but isn't what I wanted but no choice.
there are always choices. It may not work at all

there are always choices. It may not work at all

I wouldn't get quite so doom and gloom... Running downhill a bit may not have any noticeable impact on the stove's performance. I've had to do that numerous times in the past and not run into problems. My current stove actually has a valve in it that switches the gas flow from straight out the back of the stove into the chimney, to running the gas flow down, under the base of the stove, and then back up the outside to run into the chimney. If you have good draft in your chimney, that set-up should be fine.

dj

I wouldn't get quite so doom and gloom... Running downhill a bit may not have any noticeable impact on the stove's performance. I've had to do that numerous times in the past and not run into problems. My current stove actually has a valve in it that switches the gas flow from straight out the back of the stove into the chimney, to running the gas flow down, under the base of the stove, and then back up the outside to run into the chimney. If you have good draft in your chimney, that set-up should be fine.
I did say may not work if you didnt notice I know it can work but more often than not it will cause problems. And your stove is designed to work like that his is not.

I'm just seeing a 30" tall stove + another 12" elbow then sloped downward 12" to another elbow. All this in an unlisted stove sitting on cinder block. I'm being critical because bad things happen when you monkey with fire. I think I'm more frustrated with a landlord that rents a home with no heat and forces a guy into doing something like this.

Off my soap box now

Reactions: bholler
I'm just seeing a 30" tall stove + another 12" elbow then sloped downward 12" to another elbow. All this in an unlisted stove sitting on cinder block. I'm being critical because bad things happen when you monkey with fire. I think I'm more frustrated with a landlord that rents a home with no heat and forces a guy into doing something like this.

Off my soap box now

You are certainly right about playing with fire! And I'm 100% with you on the landlord/no heat .... The devil is in the details on this. Sounded like the down hill run was very small. If it's a foot as you are thinking here, that would be tough to start a fire in... A couple inches wouldn't be much of an issue, what I was thinking from his description. He definitely needs to make sure the hearth and clearances are done right. Make sure the pipe joints are sealed and either screwed or riveted together. CO detector is a must - haven't heard about him putting that in. It is good to be cautious about installing a burning fire inside your house...

dj

There are too many possible ways for this to go wrong from what we've been told so far. Besides not to code, and running hot pipes into the defunct hvac system vents I am concern about draft. I don't expect it to be very strong in a short, mobile home chimney. If it drafts that will be surprising, but even if it does my concern would be about it reversing as the stove cools down. No one has mentioned that this stove is illegal to put in a mobile home, but that is another story. Most troubling is that there are children in the house too.

No one has mentioned that this stove is illegal to put in a mobile home, but that is another story. Most troubling is that there are children in the house too.
I overlooked that because it has several permanent additions on it and since this is going into a masonry fireplace I assumed it was in one of those additions. But I guess I should not assume anything

Reactions: LilDave
that sounds like multiple c/o detectors. is your family's life worth it?

You are certainly right about playing with fire! And I'm 100% with you on the landlord/no heat .... The devil is in the details on this. Sounded like the down hill run was very small. If it's a foot as you are thinking here, that would be tough to start a fire in... A couple inches wouldn't be much of an issue, what I was thinking from his description. He definitely needs to make sure the hearth and clearances are done right. Make sure the pipe joints are sealed and either screwed or riveted together. CO detector is a must - haven't heard about him putting that in. It is good to be cautious about installing a burning fire inside your house...

dj
There are CO detectors all through the house. I put them in. every joint is screwed together and sealed to the top. It is a 2" drop. The stove is in and hooked up been drafting good no problems this far. starting to think it's to much stove for this house tho. 4 pieces of wood and it is over 90 degrees in the house and that's keeping the thermostat on the pipe in the yellow between 300 and 500.

There are too many possible ways for this to go wrong from what we've been told so far. Besides not to code, and running hot pipes into the defunct hvac system vents I am concern about draft. I don't expect it to be very strong in a short, mobile home chimney. If it drafts that will be surprising, but even if it does my concern would be about it reversing as the stove cools down. No one has mentioned that this stove is illegal to put in a mobile home, but that is another story. Most troubling is that there are children in the house too.
It has drafted good so far no reversing when it cools down. it's a masonry chimney that was built when the add-on was built with a new liner in it now. it's 15 foot tall higher than anything with in 10 foot of it. My children are my number one concern. That's why I done everything to make this as safe as possible. to keep them warm when it is cold.

God bless you Dave. Keep those smoke and CO detectors in good working condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.