1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What outside temp will you start to use your stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lanningjw, Oct 4, 2012.

1. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    I'll bet their burning in North Dakota lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fireview2788

fireview2788 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I don't worry about outside, it's when the inside temps hit below 67 inside the house and Mrs. FV says she's cold.

fv
  3. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    like others have said, we start burning when the house is cold on the inside. once the temp inside starts to get below 64ish, I start to get the itch to fire up the stove.
  4. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    THe outside temp needs to go into the 30s overnight and 50s daytime for the house to go below 70 so this sunday probably 47/36. I do have some passive solar due too an enclosed south facing porch that keeps the house about 30-40 degrees above the outside temp even though its poorly insulated.
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    THAT sounds like my wife. Whether it's a couple of splits or a full load, it will run the same. It will be a little hotter at first as the cat gobbles up the smoke, but once it settles in you can do what you want.

I just lit up a few uglies. Cloudy, mid 50s, breezy, and 68 in here. That will leave me some coals for this evening to load it up for the weekend ;)
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    It was 63.4 this a.m. in the house, and I refrained. It went up all the way to 64.2 as of an hour ago, and now it's back down to 64.
    The wind is gusting and keeping the temp down........might....have....fire.........:cool:
  7. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I would , 64 in the house is kinda chilly.
  8. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    i wont start burning until its below 45F for the duration of the burn. That temp works well for me. Higher than that and the stove puts out a bit too many BTU for the house, and starting the stove above 45F sometimes gets smoke coming in the house.
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    "64 in the house is kinda chilly"
    Wife disagrees.:mad:
    I'm waiting until she leaves for work.:cool:
    milleo likes this.
  10. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    It doesn't really matter what the outside temperature is but what it feels like inside... Yesterday at dinner it was 70° and foggy outside so we turned the AC on to get rid of some of the dampness in the house. The thermostat gave us a hard time because it has never been set below 75° before. Another day it might be 65° and damp and we will make a small fire. If it is sunny but cool during the day the house gains enough heat to last the night. If there is no solar warming we might need an evening fire to boost the house a little. I guess this is what they call shoulder season...

When the average highs are in the low 50s the fire or the bourbon is going pretty regularly. Sometimes the fire is just a good excuse for Uncle Jack to pay a visit from Tennessee.

KaptJaq
  11. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Any time the house gets below 70. Everyone here is freezing below 70.
    RAY_PA likes this.
  12. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I won't need to because I have NG furnace for a good portion of my heating, but tonight it will drop to below freezing and I've been itching for a reason to light the big guy up! Heck, I have some work to do out in the shop, so the 12 will probably burn a load or two. Nothing like sitting at a workbench playing with a chainsaw while the woodstove heats the place up!
  13. Poult

Poult Member

Loc:
    Northern NYS
    Like some others have said, when it's 67ºF in the house I start thinking about it, but it has to be in the 50's outside and not going any higher for the day to make much sense of it. Otherwise even a small fire is going to raise the temps too much to be comfortable. I've never written down what day I start burning 24/7 for the year, I need to do that this year.
  14. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Uh oh... I still remember one ugly year where mom ran around the house opening all the windows in winter. Took a few years for this then-teenager to figure out what that was all about. I learned to keep my head low and my mouth shut, that year.
    PapaDave likes this.
  15. Hanko

Hanko Minister of Fire

Loc:
    livingstion co, Michigan
    when I can see the wifes nipples through her shirt
    firefighterjake and Seasoned Oak like this.
  16. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Ha ha, hey id put up with the cold for awhile just to enjoy the view.
  17. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I also like to make it so hot in the house the, better half runs around in panties and bra. But we have house guests now so that wont work.
    Danno77 likes this.
  18. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    If I am chilly, I will start the stove. Already did my 3 break in fires on new stove so good to go. We have electric baseboard heat so I would rather light a small fire to take the chill out. I would imagine outside would be 50 for our house to start feeling chilly
  19. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I don't know about that; but I'm in South Dakota nd the stove has been going 24/7 since Wednesday night. Low tonights gonna be 21 degrees.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  20. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

When it gets to the mid 60's indoors the wife says fire it up :) so thats my gauge usually. That is in late september early october for us most of the time last winter was an exception as it was very very warm in Michigan. We really do not pay any attention to the outdoor temps to tell us when it is time just the indoor temps. We are burning now every couple of days because the house chills down however that is about to be more as the temps are dropping meaning a colder house.

Pete
  21. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    46 and raining all day. When I got home the house was 68........fire is going in the old buck. The Hampton will have to wait for colder weather.
  22. slackercruster

slackercruster New Member

For what it is worth, I use my sauna stove when it is in the 50's. Hopefully will use it this weeekend.

2 giant scoops of pellets gets the sauna up to 130 or so. If it is in the teens then need 4 scoops+ (These scoops are animal feed scoops. )
  23. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    ahh, I forgot to put in a reason for mine. i wont run the insert until its 45F outside because i have a heat pump. Its cheaper to run the heat pump at that temperature. Its a better option for me there. Below 45F the economy shifts to the wood stove. Thats what makes my mind up.
  24. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    45F outside now, 68F inside, with guests due in 4 hours. Predicted hi/low of 51'/39' over the next 24 hours. The time has come.
  25. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    For us it's usually when the house gets below 67 we'll have a fire.