1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What percent of my oil is going to my DHW?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by TKT, Nov 18, 2012.

1. TKT

TKT New Member

Loc:
    Brunswick Maine
    I am planning on junking my slant fin cold start boiler for a kedel wood pellet boiler. I am try to figure out if a heat pump DHW tank is worth the extra money or if i should go with an Indirect tank off the wood pellet boiler. Knowing how much oil I was using for DHW would help me decide

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Depends on how much you use...

Average I would say .5 - 1 gallon a day for ""MOST"" people. So 60-120$ of fuel.
  3. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    I tracked mine for just DHW. I have a 41 gallon indirect Boilermate setup. I was burning .5 gallon/day just to make hot water for 2 showers and 1 dishwasher every 3rd day. Once I learned that, I plumbed in an electric heater the next weekend.

ac
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    The best of both worlds is an electric with a sidearm so it's an indirect in the heating season, and strictly an electric water heater in the summer. If your heating season is really short, then a heat pump would be cheaper to operate, but more $$$$ up front. I'm installing this setup electric/sidearm replacing a Bock oil water heaterthis week, I can take some pictures. An alternitive to the sidearm, is if there is a domestic coil option in the boiler, plumb that into the electric tank with bronze circulator. Basically an indirect with an external heat exchanger. My $.02

TS