What should thermometer read with double wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandt

Sep 21, 2015
AR
Coaly

If I'm using all double wall pipe on my Mamma Bear stove, where would I put my magnetic thermometer?
What temps should I run at?

Thanks

If I'm using all double wall pipe on my Mamma Bear stove, where would I put my magnetic thermometer?
What temps should I run at?

On the stove top. (step)
Magnetic thermometers are not for double wall pipe. (they don't give actual internal exhaust gas temps on single wall pipe either)
Something like this will give you internal temps;
http://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-3-39-temperatures-SPECIFICALLY-DOUBLE-WALLED/dp/B000LZDVAU

The object is staying above 250* all the way to the top. Most of us don't have a way of measuring that, so it's a guess of how much it cools in the flue. The chimney determines what temperature you need to run. Insulated liner, indoor chimney, correct diameter, all requiring less wasted heat to keep it hot. (so a large flue, outdoors, uninsulated may require more heat than a smaller stove can give - this is when you can't even heat the indoor area the stove is supposed to heat while wasting too much heat up the incorrect chimney) You'll know you're keeping a high enough temperature to the top when there is little creosote formation. Then you will know what internal pipe temp is required to keep your flue clean. This becomes less critical in the coal stage when there is less to no creosote forming particles.

On the stove top. (step)
Magnetic thermometers are not for double wall pipe. (they don't give actual internal exhaust gas temps on single wall pipe either)
Something like this will give you internal temps;
http://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-3-39-temperatures-SPECIFICALLY-DOUBLE-WALLED/dp/B000LZDVAU

The object is staying above 250* all the way to the top. Most of us don't have a way of measuring that, so it's a guess of how much it cools in the flue. The chimney determines what temperature you need to run. Insulated liner, indoor chimney, correct diameter, all requiring less wasted heat to keep it hot. (so a large flue, outdoors, uninsulated may require more heat than a smaller stove can give - this is when you can't even heat the indoor area the stove is supposed to heat while wasting too much heat up the incorrect chimney) You'll know you're keeping a high enough temperature to the top when there is little creosote formation. Then you will know what internal pipe temp is required to keep your flue clean. This becomes less critical in the coal stage when there is less to no creosote forming particles.

So Coaly...What should we be keeping the STOVE TOP temp. at? Also, when you say stove top are you referring to the step up or actually on the top step?

There is no proper setting. Depends on heat required for any given day, the size of area you're heating, and the size of the stove in that area. This is where an over sized stove has to be ran closed too much and burns dirty causing smoke and creosote compared to the right size stove for the size of the area heated.
Set the air for desired heat output. I run about 1 turn open until up to temp and close a little more for desired output. That is going to be different night and day and vary for weather conditions. (high and low pressure areas moving over) You'll find when a low pressure area moves over you, there is less atmospheric pressure pushing air into the stove and it will be sluggish. It simply won't get as hot if you don't give it a much larger opening to get in. (or open pipe damper wide open if you normally use one partially closed to slow draft) You have to learn these settings from experience, not a thermometer.

The upper top will get hotter than the lower with no baffle plate installed. On the step you can read it from a distance without looking straight down on it. It's also not in the way for a water kettle for humidifying or stove top cooking.
Cooking (not simmering) requires the most heat with air intakes open a turn and a half or more. Can't stand that temp too long as it gets too hot on the legs standing near it to cook and soon gets too hot in the house.

Tables and formulas for the BTU radiated at a given surface temperature don't mean much. If you use an IR thermometer, you'll find you get a different reading on every square inch of the stove, so it's an average surface temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.