What should you ash look like....I did say ash..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
Wondering what your ash should look like...I been burning MWP mixed with my Thelin on the low setting for 3-4 weeks...the other day I cranked it up to medium and had it going for about 10 hours...when I went to clean my firebox up I notice that the ash was in the form of BB size and black in color....I stirred it around and it seemed like most of it was still in a the amber glowing stage. Made me wonder if the pellets were jumping out of the pellet firepot to early....Should also mention I had my auger feed on the lowest setting during the medium burn... Usually when I burn on low..all of my ash is very fine and light brown in color..??? The damper was never changed...I alway leave it about 3/4 open as per Thelin manual..

sounds like the pellets arent completely burning to me.

Could the pellets be blowing out of the burn pot....thinking maybe my auger speed should be more...not many pellets are in the pot at the low setting...not sure what is going on...like I mention..at the low setting and low auger setting the ash is good....but when I turn the stove up to medium with the same (low) auger speed I get these BB's..???

I am also burning MWP and the ash looks like ground pepper. I do see some sparks, but never any embers outside the burn pot. with MWP, I usually have a half inch of pellets burning. If I shut the stove down, I can see the holes in the bottom of the pot and just a little ash dust left. The rest of the ash is out of the pot and laying on any surface and pipe, most falls down into the huge ash bin in the bottom of the stove. I can burn about a ton before I have to empty that bin. When I burn energex, I get a huge ash chunk in the burn pot that must be removed by day 3 or the stove won't run right. Still have 2.5 tons to burn of those things.

I noticed that MWP burn a but different than the soft woods that I am used to as well.

The ash seems to be very dense and black. Most of it stays on the lip of the stove with very little fly ash. What does come out is very coarse. Ground pepper is a good description. I also notice a bit more carbon build up in the bottom of the burn pot when I'm cleaning, but it is never severe.

For comparisons sake, the VTs and Okies are a much cleaner, fluffier, grey ash. Though there is generally a bit more fly ash.

Try a different brand and see if it still does it. If not its the pellets and not the stove.

Turbo-Quad said:
Try a different brand and see if it still does it. If not its the pellets and not the stove.

I've been buring the hardwood Geneva's and the ash looks good...one things that bugs me it all my ashes go to the right side of the firebox...

Status
Not open for further replies.