1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What size generator for stove blower

Post in 'The Gear' started by steeltowninwv, Aug 29, 2013.

1. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    I know I need to check my manual for amps and voltage. But I have a enviro Venice 1700 insert. I wanna get a generator for power outages. Mainly just to run the fan on the insert. So in general what size do I need?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stove blowers are fairly low powered, usually under 200W. Check the motor rating. If you have extended outages (more than a day or two) you will want a small genny that is miserly on gas and designed to run a long time.
    jensent likes this.
  3. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just for the fan it would probably be no more then 200 watts. Probably can't even find a generator that small. Probably could rig up a car battery and an inverter.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    +1 if the outages are reasonably short.
  5. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I have a large UPS hooked up to mine, if you get 30-60 minute drops in power then I would look at that. Anything longer would require a car battery and inverter or hooking up the generator. I have a 7500watt peak generator, but I only hook it up if I am certain power will be out for a while, I run a lot more than the insert fan with that.
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Unless the intent is to destroy the battery it's best to not deplete it all the way. Usually you want to go go no further than 60% discharge. Our outages can last a week here. Keeping food preserved in refrig and freezer becomes the priority.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There are several threads on this topic in the gear and DIY rooms.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    When I measured the blower on the 30-NC it ran at max 90 watts. The blower is secondary for me. After I get power to the refrigerators the stove blower comes along for the ride.
  9. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    I agree that one of the smaller generators can support the blower and maybe some other items like a freezer.
  10. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  11. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Hey, they're red now!
    If I recall, my blue does the insert fan, a couple of cfls, and TV and/or Fridge. The Fridge surges once in a while as I recall.
    Last time, I used the Honda 2000. No worries. I still like my little blue guy though.
  12. timfromohio

timfromohio Minister of Fire

Running a generator full-time (unless you absolutlely must have life-as-usual) in an outage just isn't economical. I'd recommend a deep-cycle battery and an inverter, or better, a deep cycle bank and multiple inverters depending on the load you want to manage at any given time. You can get an 800watt inverter and keep refridgerator/freezers cold by cycling them once a day for several hours and running off of your (idling) car. For the blower fan, a single deep cycler and 400 watt inverter would be enough for days (easily) before charging. Personally, I have a 7200 watt (8200 peak) generator which I use only to charge a deep cycle battery bank or run for short (several hour) periods during an outage. I can use my deep cycle bank (with 800 and 1600 watt inverters) to power most things I need to power. Then, run the genset to charge the bank every few days.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    i would get the HF gennerator. a deepcycle batt, but those will go bad over time, and a inverter for like 400w. Also a solar charger would be a good thing if you go with the Deepcycle batt.
  14. steeltowninwv

Loc:
    west virginia
    Think I will go with the 1200 watt. 2 stroke generator from northern tool
  15. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Don't forget you can take the surround off during a power outage as well to help keep the insert from over firing.
  16. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
  17. Iembalm4aLiving

Iembalm4aLiving Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Ohio
    I would seek out a used Honda 2,000 watt inverter. The 2 stroke HF generators are annoyingly loud.
  18. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    They really aren't that bad. Noisier than the Honda, but then, what isn't? What's a little annoying about the Honda is that it doesn't have a separate fuel shut off-the ignition and fuel switches are combined into one.
  19. Bluezx636

Bluezx636 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I purchased a yamaha 2400ISHC generator 2 years ago and it has performed flawlessly though too hurricane power outages Irene and Sandy. Right now I have 211hrs on it with the only maintenance being oil changes. I can also get 11-13hrs out of 1.6 Gallons of gas. If you are ever considering a honda look at yamaha first they are known to be just as reliable while getting more wattage and features at a lower price.
    http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Yamaha-EF2400ISHC-Portable-Generator/p4433.html
  20. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
  21. steeltowninwv

Loc:
    west virginia
  22. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  23. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    But that one is 1200/1000 where the hf one is like 1000/800 or 600/800? Don't remember.
  24. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I didn't see a displacement on one, I forget which.
  25. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That generator shows up all over with a few different ratings. 800w is pretty honest. ;)