What size insert? Pics and floorplan inside:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
av8roc said:
szmaine said:
Just wondering - can his TV stay there with a wood heater?

Well I burn regular fires without issue, pretty common nowadays to install TV's over fireplace mantle. I don't know if the insert would pose a problem but one of the showrooms here on the island has a TV mounted over an insert.. I believe it was an electric so that probably means nothing.

Anyone else have a TV mounted over an insert/stove?

Not problem if it has a fan. Fan pushes heat away! I have that set up!

UPDATE:

Well I took the plunge today!

We decided on the VC Montpelier insert for a few reasons:

1 Wife liked the looks of it the best (most viewing area and flush mount).

2. Priced a few hundred less than the Jotul.

3. Log size/ firebox size

4. Burn Times

5. My local dealer (little guy) gave me the best price, was the most straight forward and also didn't charge me sales tax.

My uncle who has the Jotul 450 says the best he is able to do is about 6 hours of burn which is what the salesman quoted me as well. I have heard you can get a bit more out of the VC due to the larger box. Also the VC being flush probably doesn't output quite as much heat which we were concerned about having such a small living room.

My biggest concern is the VC's short time on the market and quality compared to the Jotul. I realize we are taking a gamble but am willing to risk it because it fit all the rest of our requirements.

Thanks for everyone's advice and input. I will be sure to post pics when I get this thing installed!

-Sean

Congrads!
I was wondering where you were at? You are a decisive one , eh?
Yes, don't forget pictures.

szmaine said:
Congrads!
I was wondering where you were at? You are a decisive one , eh?
Yes, don't forget pictures.

Took me a while I know!

[quote author="av8roc" date="1257919928"]UPDATE:

Well I took the plunge today!

We decided on the VC Montpelier insert for a few reasons:

1 Wife liked the looks of it the best (most viewing area and flush mount).

2. Priced a few hundred less than the Jotul.

3. Log size/ firebox size

4. Burn Times

5. My local dealer (little guy) gave me the best price, was the most straight forward and also didn't charge me sales tax.

My uncle who has the Jotul 450 says the best he is able to do is about 6 hours of burn which is what the salesman quoted me as well. I have heard you can get a bit more out of the VC due to the larger box. Also the VC being flush probably doesn't output quite as much heat which we were concerned about having such a small living room.

My biggest concern is the VC's short time on the market and quality compared to the Jotul. I realize we are taking a gamble but am willing to risk it because it fit all the rest of our requirements.

Thanks for everyone's advice and input. I will be sure to post pics when I get this thing installed!

-Sean[/quot

You will be happy with that insert! It will complement your fireplace nicely! I am on my second season with it and love it. With experience you will be able to control heat output! This time of year I make one fire per day and it keeps the house comfortable about 70ish. when it is freezing I can keep the house low 70 upper 60s with all day burning. On start up use kindling or construction scrape, like pallet wood and two or three small splits. Top down fires work good! Good seasoned split wood really makes a difference in heat output and keeping the glass clean! For more heat output use smaller splits for overnight long burns use larger splits or rounds. I even will put an under seasoned split or round in the back then seasoned splits in front and on top for an 8 hour burn! I load up at 1130 pm and in the morning I will still have some hot coals to reload. I cut my Heating oil use by two thirds!

Something is wrong with your uncles setup (or wood). I've been running my C450 for 4 years (if I remember correctly) and have regular 8 to 10 hour burn times. Is he burning soft wood or not closing down the air far enough? Has he done the dollar bill test? Somethings not right.

boostnut said:
Something is wrong with your uncles setup (or wood). I've been running my C450 for 4 years (if I remember correctly) and have regular 8 to 10 hour burn times. Is he burning soft wood or not closing down the air far enough? Has he done the dollar bill test? Somethings not right.

He's burning hardwood but when my moisture meter arrives I'm gonna head over and check his supply. As far as the dollar bill test no.. I will try that as well. Do you just check around the door trim for a draw with the bill. Is there any more to it than that?

[quote author="allhandsworking" date="1257970164"

You will be happy with that insert! It will complement your fireplace nicely! I am on my second season with it and love it. With experience you will be able to control heat output! This time of year I make one fire per day and it keeps the house comfortable about 70ish. when it is freezing I can keep the house low 70 upper 60s with all day burning. On start up use kindling or construction scrape, like pallet wood and two or three small splits. Top down fires work good! Good seasoned split wood really makes a difference in heat output and keeping the glass clean! For more heat output use smaller splits for overnight long burns use larger splits or rounds. I even will put an under seasoned split or round in the back then seasoned splits in front and on top for an 8 hour burn! I load up at 1130 pm and in the morning I will still have some hot coals to reload. I cut my Heating oil use by two thirds![/quote]

That's great to hear, thank you! Very good to hear bout the long burn times as that was a huge factor in choosing this stove.

Congrats on the going for the Montpelier, but I just may have a bias opinion ;o) I like mine, there are some pics on the site of it.

boostnut said:

I totally agree with this assesment I can easily get over 8 hours out of my c450 even without overloading my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.