What size pacific energy wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Go's Mom

May 24, 2014
Maine
Hello!
Thanks for forum. Learning a lot.
Replacing old defiant with pacific energy. Looking to buy soon. Is summit too big for 1800 sq foot 2 story house? We also have a monitor heater so this will be big supplement to heat but not only source.
Concerned about it being too hot and having to watch fire go down before going to bed.
But also loved those big fires of our old defiant. Thanks!

Greetings. Go for the Summit with no worries. If replacing a Defiant, it will not be too large at all.

Greetings. Go for the Summit with no worries. If replacing a Defiant, it will not be too large at all.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear!

So how about this:
Should we go with a diagonal stove pipe or keep the turns like the current one has? see photo.
We kind of like the esthetics of the current configuration but want best air flow/draw.
Do you think 90 degree elbow makes a difference?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 177
Welcome, GG. :) I would try to use 45s, but others will be more knowledgeable as to how this could be done without using the flimsy adjustable elbows...
Now that the stove question has been answered, can you tell us some good stories of your rockin' times spent in the Go-Gos? ;)

The Summit has a 6" flue collar. Looks like 8" on the Defiant.

What kind of chimney do you have? EPA stoves perform best when it is matched to the size of the flue collar. If it is masonry, a 6" liner may be needed.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The chimney info is important. If you have strong draft you may be able to keep the current stovepipe configuration, but in 6" pipe. How tall is the chimney? Do you know what it's inside dimension is?

Welcome, GG. :) I would try to use 45s, but others will be more knowledgeable as to how this could be done without using the flimsy adjustable elbows...
Now that the stove question has been answered, can you tell us some good stories of your rockin' times spent in the Go-Gos? ;)
Thank! Sorry but Go Go is a Siamese cat...

The Summit has a 6" flue collar. Looks like 8" on the Defiant.

What kind of chimney do you have? EPA stoves perform best when it is matched to the size of the flue collar. If it is masonry, a 6" liner may be needed.
Yes we're getting a 6" ss liner for our brick chimney with cracked inner tile that will be removed.
Chimney has good draft 25-30 ft tall.

Reactions: jeff_t
The chimney info is important. If you have strong draft you may be able to keep the current stovepipe configuration, but in 6" pipe. How tall is the chimney? Do you know what it's inside dimension is?
Inside dimension is 8 x 11 putting in 6 inch ss pipe I think 25-30 tall

That should draft pretty well. I think you'll be ok with the current stove pipe layout if that is your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.