What size stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

trrads

Apr 8, 2015
NY
We have a 4 season room that we are having built off of our kitchen. It measures 18x14 with 9 foot ceiling on periphery and cathedral ceiling has apex to around 12-13'. The floor will be trex with 9" open cell foam to insulate under the trex and R38 fiberglass ceiling. 3 of the walls will be largely made of 5'6" wide x 5' windows with small spacing between each window to maximize the light. Any area on the walls not composed of window will be insulated also (along with a couple doors for external access). There will be 3-5' windows and an insulated external door off the current kitchen that could be opened to provide stream of air and radiation of heat from the 4 season into the house (which is about 3000 square feet).

We would like to have plenty of heat for the room through the winter which can get very cold (upstate NY - north of albany) and, if possible, be able to use it for supplemental heat for our house.

I am choosing between Jotul F 3CB and Jotul F400 Castine and Quadrafire Explorer II and Yosemite units. I'm not really concerned about brand as I am the BTU's between the different size units. The 3CB and Yosemite are around 42,000 BTU and the 400 Castine and Explorer II are around 55-65 BTU.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you.

Normally I say bigger is better, but I'm not sure how well you would be able to move the heat into your existing house from the new room. If you can design it in a way that the heat would transfer, I'd say go big, probably bigger than the choices you listed above. If it is mainly going to heat that one room I would go with the 3CB.

The high ceiling will increase the volume of air to be heated.The main issue you will be running into will be that most of that heat is going to pocket at the peak of the cathedral ceiling. Get the larger stove to help offset this and for longer burn times. For sure plan on running a couple ceiling fans to help break up the heat stratification.

How do you plan to run the stove, nights and weekends or 24/7? Do you have a large supply of fully seasoned wood already stacked and ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.