What temp to burn new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleehewson

Sep 13, 2015
Kansas City
Hey guys, new to wood stoves here. I just had a small Buck 18 installed into my little pre-fab fireplace. Not ideal I know, but really my only viable option. What temp should I burn the stove at? I have a magnetic thermometer on the top of the stove. I have seen several ranges of temps but I'm not sure if they are referencing the stove top or the pipe (which i can't measure with an insert)

Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Most magnetic thermometers are measuring stove pipe. I would say keep the stovetop above 300 degrees especially early in the burn. It doesn't hurt to invest in an infrared thermometer they are a lot more accurate.

Once the secondaries kick in start shutting the stove down to your comfort level. If the temperature starts to fall you have a problem.

How is your wood supply?

Thanks for the reply.

My wood supply is ok I think. I have just under a cord and going to be adding some more soon. I'm not planning on burning the stove a massive amount, mostly weekends and maybe a few cold week nights. I've got a mix of Hedge, walnut, oak, hackberry, locust, and pear.

I bought the stove for supplemental heat and atmosphere.... I just want to make sure that I don't burn too cold or too hot for safety reasons.

The top of the stove is convective and not the actual stove top. You can get a relative reading with an IR thermometer pointed at the front face just above the door corner. Try to keep the temp to 650F or below. If something is glowing it's too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.