What the heck is this stove/fireplace thing??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 559
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 527
Wood Heat Stoves said:
That's scary! Better check to see what's behind those doors and see what type of chimney is inside that enclosure. If it is a ZC fireplace that would be a big no-no and a dangerous situation to add doors like that.

I'm betting that there isn't a brand new car behind Door Number 1! :) ;)

Wow, this is twice in a very short while that I have seen a photo of something hearth related I have never seen before. Looks like some kind of a retrofit. I would not burn that thing until a true pro came out to look at it.

You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that somebody took the doors off a boiler and slapped them on a fireplace opening. The only thing I've ever seen comparable is probably the set-up I saw last summer at a High Sierra Camp in Yosemite. It had been used as a wood-fired hot water heater from the mid-20th century, long out of commission by the look of it. This thing looks like a danged locomotive firebox. Could have even been coal fired.

Franks said:
AP Bakes is pottery in there.

Translation (took me a while):

Adios Pantalones bakes his pottery in there.

You shovel coal in there and the house moves down the tracks.

ploughboy said:
You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that somebody took the doors off a boiler and slapped them on a fireplace opening. The only thing I've ever seen comparable is probably the set-up I saw last summer at a High Sierra Camp in Yosemite. It had been used as a wood-fired hot water heater from the mid-20th century, long out of commission by the look of it. This thing looks like a danged locomotive firebox. Could have even been coal fired.

Thats what I thought but how can you move that thing? Does a house come with it?

Wood Duck said:
You shovel coal in there and the house moves down the tracks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Google leads me to the Kewanee Type C boiler. Hard to say what is going on here. Maybe just a custom unit using the boiler doors for visual effect?

Adios Pantalones said:
That's where they keep The Gimp.

Blah haha!! Good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.