1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

what to do with moist pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by tyler walker, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Its all relative.....Instant heat is good compared to what?....Cherry pits?......Pits will be outperformed by Infernos....(Most of the time anyways!!!)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SXIPro

SXIPro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MA
    Buy it. Where are you? If you get stuck with extras, I'll take them off your hands. I am one of the poor souls who has never even laid eyes on Somersets in person. I still think they are just a myth.
  3. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    That was my point
  4. tyler walker

tyler walker New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    Though the loss leader strategy is very effective. I left there with all kinds of stuff, especially because I had to borrow a truck to get the pellets.
  5. newf lover

newf lover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    Buy another ton. The pellets will not go bad, and unless you get a flooded basement, they will be just fine. I have a basement on the moist side and usually have extra bags at the end of the season. Never had a problem with the "old" pellets.
  6. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Off topic, but I will vote CT Pellet as best new member! Lots of good info IMHO!
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. ducker

ducker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Leominster, MA
    I would think any pellet is burnable/usable as long as it has not started expanding/breaking down. I would figure that a moist pellet would have too much water content within it to actually hold together, and in that case be useful for only garden mulch to help keep down the weeds. :)

I have had pellets sit in my (damp) basement for over a year and still burn perfectly fine.
  8. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    I can't tell where you are from your profile but I live in The Great State of Tennessee. I know humidity, 90% during the summer, and mine are stacked outside in my unclosed garage. You're over thinking the humidity problem. But if your water heater bursts or your basement is prone to water after it rains then you may have an issue. Keep them off the floor.