What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I have bunch of trees that blew over last May. Most of the accessible ones my road guy tackled with his shovel. All the hardwood I gave to my neighbor. Kept maybe two cords of hemlock. Not sure what to do with this one (plus I have two more looking almost identical, snapped same way).

1. Let my neighbor deal with it.
2. Tackle it myself, still have space for it.
3. Let nature deal with it.

Cheers

3B94C258-5670-4834-B8D6-C3E1C5631220.jpeg

Looks to be on a bit of a slope with more than one tree cross crossing. That’s beyond my skill and if you have other easier options for wood 🪵 I wouldn’t see that extra risk as something I would take on. Now if you said I’m going to go out and make 4-6 cuts a day and not be in a hurry get what’s easy and leave anything that isn’t easy maybe.

I would only tell the neighbor they could have it if I was super duper sure they had the skills and experience to do the job safely. Just my thoughts. When all I have to do is make a call and and a within a couple weeks a tree service drops rounds ( usually for free) in my driveway my risk tolerance for firewood is low.

Hm
If I go for #2, its the tension I need to worry about, especially from the limbs and the smaller maple below the big one.

I’ve watch enough YouTube videos to know that storm damage cleanup is some of the most dangerous if not the most dangerous situations you can be cutting in. And all are up front how much more dangerous storm cleanup is what is not apparent is how much slower they work in those situations. A nibble here, a small limb, then a bit more and then start a new cut to release more tension. Try the compression side. Oh pinched that saw. Get the backup saw. Can’t cut it free right away…..

You get my point. In forest full of wood I don’t adhere to the waists not want not philosophy. Out cutting by myself if I’m not 100% sure I’m safe I’m not cutting. Once I get fatigued even the slightest it’s break time or just pack it up for the day.

Reactions: Diabel
I’ve watch enough YouTube videos to know that storm damage cleanup is some of the most dangerous if not the most dangerous situations you can be cutting in. And all are up front how much more dangerous storm cleanup is what is not apparent is how much slower they work in those situations. A nibble here, a small limb, then a bit more and then start a new cut to release more tension. Try the compression side. Oh pinched that saw. Get the backup saw. Can’t cut it free right away…..

You get my point. In forest full of wood I don’t adhere to the waists not want not philosophy. Out cutting by myself if I’m not 100% sure I’m safe I’m not cutting. Once I get fatigued even the slightest it’s break time or just pack it up for the day.
I hear you. Thank you

Reactions: EbS-P
In forest full of wood I don’t adhere to the waists not want not philosophy.
I take it that you do not cut from your own bush lot!
I have 220 acres of mixed hardwood bush. Any damaged
or blown-over trees are removed first. They are done slowly and with
the knowledge that they can be dangerous. To leave them can be more dangerous
and here we are liable for anyone hurt by such hazards even if they do not have
permission to be on your property. It also gives room for new seedlings to grow and mature
Not only that but it makes good firewood without having to remove valuable saw logs for firewood
Just my uninformed nickles worth

Reactions: EbS-P and DonTee
I take it that you do not cut from your own bush lot!
I have 220 acres of mixed hardwood bush. Any damaged
or blown-over trees are removed first. They are done slowly and with
the knowledge that they can be dangerous. To leave them can be more dangerous
and here we are liable for anyone hurt by such hazards even if they do not have
permission to be on your property. It also gives room for new seedlings to grow and mature
Not only that but it makes good firewood without having to remove valuable saw logs for firewood
Just my uninformed nickles worth
I’m a city guy with a few trees in my yard that got hammered by a hurricane so I had to buy a chainsaw. I think it’s good to have all points of view. Just because we own a saw and heat with wood means we are all experienced woodsmen

I was kind of thinking about that when I posted. I should’ve said “option 2 if you’re comfortable making the cuts”.

I agree that half down trees are the most dangerous.

Reactions: Diabel