Napoleon 1101 Oakdale Insert blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
Hey All,

Haven’t been on in a while. My Napoleon 1101 Oakdale Insert needs a new blower.

Have searched hard for a “how to” video to determine if I can tackle this myself (without removing the entire unit to do so). No luck finding any useful info. Hoping removal of the entire unit is not needed as I have a block off plate, insulation etc that would then likely need redone.

Any one have any insight in to what replacing the blower entails??

Page 23 of the manual covers this. It can be done without removing the insert.

1. Turn off all electrical power to the appliance. Remove the glass door and set aside in a safe place.
  2. Remove the top right side bricks from inside the firebox, 4-#7’s and 2-#2’s. Then remove the rest of the side and back bricks from the right side of the appliance. It is not necessary to remove the bottom bricks.
  3. The access panel can be removed by taking out the 8 #10 self taping screws. A 5/16” nut driver will be required to complete this job. Unplug wires from the thermal switch on the panel.
  4. Remove the securing wing nut from the blower mounting bracket, slide the bracket to the right and rotate the left side of the assembly out of the cav- ity to clear the blower motor. Disconnect the two wires from
    the blower motor. Remove the ground wire from the blower mounting bracket, then the assembly can be taken out of the rear cavity through the access door opening.
  1. Remove the 3 screws that hold the blower to the mounting
    bracket. Service or replace the blower as required.
  2. Reinstall the blower assembly making sure the blower bracket
    is seated under the securing tab. Reattach the wire connec-
    tors.
  3. Replace the gasket on the access door. To replace the access
    panel, reverse Step C.
  4. Replace the bricks into the firebox. Reinstall the door.

Page 23 of the manual covers this. It can be done without removing the insert.

1. Turn off all electrical power to the appliance. Remove the glass door and set aside in a safe place.
  2. Remove the top right side bricks from inside the firebox, 4-#7’s and 2-#2’s. Then remove the rest of the side and back bricks from the right side of the appliance. It is not necessary to remove the bottom bricks.
  3. The access panel can be removed by taking out the 8 #10 self taping screws. A 5/16” nut driver will be required to complete this job. Unplug wires from the thermal switch on the panel.
  4. Remove the securing wing nut from the blower mounting bracket, slide the bracket to the right and rotate the left side of the assembly out of the cav- ity to clear the blower motor. Disconnect the two wires from
    the blower motor. Remove the ground wire from the blower mounting bracket, then the assembly can be taken out of the rear cavity through the access door opening.
  5. Remove the 3 screws that hold the blower to the mounting
    bracket. Service or replace the blower as required.
  6. Reinstall the blower assembly making sure the blower bracket
    is seated under the securing tab. Reattach the wire connec-
    tors.
  7. Replace the gasket on the access door. To replace the access
    panel, reverse Step C.
  8. Replace the bricks into the firebox. Reinstall the door.

I have removed the old blower and just received the replacement. I made a mistake by not taking a photo of the two connected wires (red and black).

I am assuming it matters which one attaches to each respective “prong”.

Is there any clear or obvious manner in which to figure this out??

This is an AC motor. It may not matter.