What Tree is this from

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deborita3

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2018
New York
Hi.
I am.new to identifying wood. Can someone tell me what tree this leaf came from? 20190731_145321.jpg

Looks like red oak.

I never pay enough attention to the timing of things, but I suspect you may be able to confirm we are right already, look in the tree for small green acorns.

Reactions: deborita3
I never pay enough attention to the timing of things, but I suspect you may be able to confirm we are right already, look in the tree for small green acorns.

There are small green acorns on the lawn. They have been falling off and hitting the roof of our shed. 15648400893336566335237899312125.jpgI am thinking these are maple?

Your first leaf is in the red oak group. Could be pin oak, red oak, black oak, etc. My hunch on that one is pin oak.

You may have three types of maple in your photo: Norway, sugar, and red. That small one is not from the same tree as the others, that's for sure. Should be red maple. The big leaf looks like it could be a hybrid -- sold in nurseries. Norway maple crossed with a dark leaf maple, or something like that.

Reactions: Ashful
Your first leaf is in the red oak group. Could be pin oak, red oak, black oak, etc. My hunch on that one is pin oak.

You may have three types of maple in your photo: Norway, sugar, and red. That small one is not from the same tree as the others, that's for sure. Should be red maple. The big leaf looks like it could be a hybrid -- sold in nurseries. Norway maple crossed with a dark leaf maple, or something like that.

Thank you for the info! You're right, the leaves were from different trees.