What will work in a 32x32x12 fireplace space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ponderosa77

Nov 24, 2015
UT
Hello everyone. A relative of mine has an older home with a masonry chimney. The chimney opens up inside the house via a 32x32x12 inch fireplace space (there is no fireplace installed now). It looks like it might be possible to install something like an Appalachian stove (http://www.appalachianstove.com/wood-stoves-32-xlb.php) in a space like this but maybe someone could point me in a better direction (or less expensive).

The flue opening is rectangular and I'm not sure how a round stove flue would adapt to the chimney unless a liner was used... any ideas? Thanks.

Is there no fire box, just an opening in the masonry chimney? If so it seems like the masons only built a rough masonry opening and never built the fireplace which would be a firebrick firebox, damper and face bricks. Those dimensions would only work for a fairly small fireplace. Is there a hearth?

If that is the case and its only rough masonry there may only be one wythe of brick which may not be enough if you can’t see what is on the other side. Another layer of brick may be required for safety.

Reactions: Squisher
alcove install. Very common. Mine is an alcove install but I have an oversized fireplace that allows for a top venting stove. You might need to find a rear vent.

Look at my avatar

My thought was also that it may have been built for an alcove. How old is the home? If very old I don’t think they installed stoves in masonry alcoves often. If the home was built maybe in the past 20 – 30 years a chimney built for an alcove install seems most likely. Need a picture.

Sorry about the late reply and thanks for the help. Here is a picture:
chimney-opening.jpg

What's behind this picture? This is an exterior wall so there isn't anything but the rest of the chimney on the other side of the wall.

The home is quite old but I will have to get the approximate year. Carrying forward the alcove idea, if a hearth / hearth pad was built up and safety and clearances observed (yes, the wood trim would go), could something like this work?
AshRustic1200.jpg

shoot-straight: does your installation vent into masonry or into a chimney liner?

Thanks

That looks like a coal fireplace, that would explain the small size and the grate is for coal. The wood trim should not be there and was probably added later. There should be a damper and a smoke chamber above the throat. Even with the wood removed the side clearances may be a bit shy. Is there a wood mantle over the brick which looks to be just beyond the photo, if so that dimension needs to be known. If all masonry may be OK. May be suitable for a small stove. The other critical area is the throat and damper. That will determine how difficult or easy it will be to get a pipe/liner past.

Reactions: Squisher