1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What would you do in basement

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by rombi, Feb 5, 2013.

1. rombi

rombi Member

Loc:
    Green Bay Wi
    I have been toying with the idea of selling my Aquatherm but there is little interest in it.
    I have it going to a HX in the forced air furnace of my house and it also heats a 1000 sq ft kennel.
    Since I burn a stove in the house we hardly ever use the forced air so that is a round trip with little value. I was thinking of putting in heat in our insulated but electric heated basement using the OWB.
    It is already running into the basement so I don't think it would be too hard to get it to where we want the heat. What kind of a system would you put in for the basement. We plan on finishing the basement at some point so I don't think a noisy Hanging Modine would be the answer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    What state is your basement in (floors & walls) now?

The most comfortable & efficient might be in-floor (in a sub-floor?) - but that depends on your situation & how much work you want or don't want. Likely the easiest might be some baseboard around the bottom of the walls.

Since it's already in place (I think) - can't you just run your forced air & direct it into the basement?
  3. rombi

rombi Member

Loc:
    Green Bay Wi
    I guess I did not think about that. I do have it in the forced air. Sometimes at night when our wood stove in the house is not warm enough the furnace does run for the upstairs. If I could run that into the basement it would have to be on a seperate thermastat down there. I guess I don't picture how I could leave it in place and duct it into the basement without heating the rest of the house at the same time. Some kind of a shutoff plate?
  4. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI

Yes electric zone dampers. My basement and first floor have separate thermostats. Each level has its own distribution trunk that serves only that level. No call for heat both dampers are open, when one level calls for heat the other damper closes.

gg
  5. rombi

rombi Member

Loc:
    Green Bay Wi
    What if they both call for heat? Does the main house get it first? This might be routing some ductwork into the part of the basement that I want heated. Might not be as much as I thought and I don't have to sell the OWB>
  6. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    Why are you not heating the house completely with the OWB?
    Rob