What would you do part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Original thread is here https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-would-you-do.123162/ Latest update..tech arrived with new igniter replaced it and no go. It now may be a bad board but not sure. How much more do I need to deal with before I am within my rights to ask for a new stove? Understand problems arise but this is a bit much.

Have you called the dealer and asked? Now is the time, as we can only speculate. The best you can do is talk to them and explain your feelings and go from there. Who knows, maybe he'll be willing to work something out.

I'd assume the warranty began on the purchase date.

They're obviously holding up their end of the deal as far as the warranty goes.

Yes warranty for anything IMO is date of original purchase.I think calling them and asking for kicks what they would give you for that one wouldn't hurt.im no expert there is a chance this stove is a lemon and will be nothing but problems.when I bought a used one and was having problems I'm kicking myself for not returning it. So instead I took a $1500 loss when trading in that Junk for my Harman witch knock in wood is treating me well.what ever you choose. Good luck

They are holding up their end with no complaints from me. The tech spoke to one of the owners and he is going to speak to second owner. All I would like is an even dollar exchange and any higher we will pay the difference. The tech believes the same. Anything different and we are gonna be good Buds!!==c

They are holding up their end with no complaints from me. The tech spoke to one of the owners and he is going to speak to second owner. All I would like is an even dollar exchange and any higher we will pay the difference. The tech believes the same. Anything different and we are gonna be good Buds!!==c
If you get them to go along with that your golden!

This is the third time I have read the floor models bought has gone bad .
Talk to your dealer with all of your concerns.
Remember this is their busy season

The only thing the tech said is owner said we bought a floor model. So we bought a brand new stove that was for all to see and that should matter ?

Contact your local county attorney,as some states have lemon laws that apply to other things than just cars.Then this gives you the legal leg next time you talk to your dealer.At this point he should be out there replacing it anyway,but may be under no obligation to.

I am hoping I don't need to go that far. Don't believe I am going to far on this.
To this point I have yet to mention the dealer.

Have you spoken directly with someone who can make a decision, or not? Seems like a lot of back and forth and working through a tech with no authority. Don't torture yourself with hand wringing for a relatively simple thing. Just go have a direct conversation with an owner that can actually act like an owner, tell them what you want, and negotiate from there. You have clearly lost faith in that stove - just ask for a new one, with you paying the difference, and be done with it.

One owner needs to speak to the second owner and suppose to get back to us today. Fingers crossed.

Very often floor models are used as parts machines for other sold/broken stoves. Parts are taken off and then replaced with new ones. Not every stove shop will do this but a lot will and it should cause issues if the parts are put back in new shape. May have no bearing on your situation at all.

One owner needs to speak to the second owner and suppose to get back to us today. Fingers crossed.
If they do give you full credit for it towards a new stove. That's great customer service. Because once he takes it back he won't get that price for it now. It being a used stove. Hope it wrks in your favor.

Did you ever find out how old the stove is when it was pulled out? Understand your lack of confidence but if the board gets replaced is it likely to cure most of the deficiencies to date?

Could be worse, could have bought a new one and have the board go when it was out of warranty...

Was built in 2011. As far as Im concerned it is a New older stove. Was never used , it was display. The paint smell was strong enough to drive us out and set off the smoke detectors on its first fire. Never called me as I was told..will have to start again on Monday. I would think Thelin should credit him some because of all the problems with the stove?

Was built in 2011. As far as Im concerned it is a New older stove. Was never used , it was display. The paint smell was strong enough to drive us out and set off the smoke detectors on its first fire. Never called me as I was told..will have to start again on Monday. I would think Thelin should credit him some because of all the problems with the stove?
Being in buisnes myself self. It's clearly up the the owner at this point. I highly dowt thelin will give him a full credit.Again if he has good customer service he will make it right with you.even if he doesn't give you full credit I would ask what he would give you for it.Maybe cutting your losses may be a good idea.Now that spring is around the corner he may knock a lot off a new Harman or what ever else you have your eye on.If you can try to resolve it with out small claim court Bs. I've seen people win and never get payed .

Really don't want to go that far. Could go with a Classic Bay ( not as nice looking) Less than I paid and they are offering 200.00 coupon.

Even better at 250.00 . To me :rolleyes: its 300.00 less then I paid.

This is the third time I have read the floor models bought has gone bad .
Talk to your dealer with all of your concerns.
Remember this is their busy season
My St. Croix Afton Bay was a floor model (1 year old) and the dealer had to put in 3 sensors and a new board within the first 2 months. No squabbles or arguments from him. The techs found the problems and fixed the stove the same day. That was 5 years ago. I haven't had any more problems since then.

Service has been good. The wait time to get the parts when my stove has been down is what cost me money to run oil or twice the pellet I should need.Now on the third time and more cost to me in both pellet and oil. Season is over in 2 months warranty in Oct. So long down time in burn season down time and after that its out of my pocket. Restart my warranty every time I need a part and I would be good.

What is the warranty period for a new stove - 2 years? If they don't agree with the switch-out, maybe an extended year on warranty due to the aggravation factor?

1 year on the warranty..then I pay. Yes extended would be at least something. I have been thinking about it and thought is...Why is it ok on this stove to say let them keep fixing it though..If you dropped 2 or 3 grand on a tv would you deal with a repair every 2 months? Washer or dryer? Car? No..we would be returning it for a refund. Why should it be different in this case? How many times down time and repair before I should ask for a refund? Granted I have not heard from the owners , yet , I was told they were going to call me on Sat. No call , I called them, No call back.

Keep trying for the swap but was just suggesting if you get nowhere with that option you could suggest warranty extension...

Status
Not open for further replies.