What would you do part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lake girl, Swap is what I would like, second would be everytime you repair my year starts fresh. How long may that go on?

I'm hoping you get satisfaction. Surely you got the "bugs" worked out by now...:(

Original thread is here https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-would-you-do.123162/ Latest update..tech arrived with new igniter replaced it and no go. It now may be a bad board but not sure. How much more do I need to deal with before I am within my rights to ask for a new stove? Understand problems arise but this is a bit much.
You could try something that I did about 40 years ago. I parked my car outside a car dealer that screwed me on a repair. I put the hood up (to suggest the car was broken down). Then I hung a sign for all customers to see saying" this guy is a crook". I did this every chance I could and after a week the dealer resolved the matter to my satisfaction.

LOL Park the stove in front with door open?

Did you pay with cash or a credit/debit card? If you used a card you may have additional rights/remedies through the card company.

If the dealer does not want to do anything please look into the "Law of Merchantability for a Particular Purpose" and consult an attorney if needed. This law is very vague, I am not an attorney and offer no legal advice but my understanding is that for an amount made an item should be reasonably expected to work for an undetermined amount of time. Based on the fact that the dealer's own technician can't repair the stove I would think that they would have no choice but to refund/credit your purchase.

Law of Merchantability for a Particular Purpose
The seller must know or have reason to know of the buyer's particular purpose for the goods;
  • The seller must have reason to know of the buyer's reliance on the seller's skill and knowledge in furnishing the appropriate goods; and
  • The buyer must rely on the seller's skill and knowledge.
Finally spoke to the owners and they are going to decide on what action to take. I let them know I would like it replaced with a Quadra fire Castile insert and will pay the difference between the 2 if need be ( don't feel I should have to because of the headaches Im going through. It turns out they only carried Thelin for a year or so and dropped them. The tech has never worked on them so must rely on calls to Thelin to work through the problems. They will be back again making it 4 times since the end of Nov.

John, The Igniter may not have anything at all to do with the Circuit Board. The Igniter on that Stove is hooked up to a Relay & 2 Fuse Holders on the inner Panel. I would check the Fuse Holder Connections behind the Control Panel & see if the Soldered connections have been compromised. There is a bridge connection that Solders both Fuse holder connections & has a single wire that connects there to. Also check the soldered connections at the end of the Fuse Holders as well. The only other thing would be the Relay itself. I would get the wiring diagram out & make sure they are hooking the wires up from the Igniter on the correct prongs. Hope this helps.
Stupid question did you check the Igniter Fuse?

Hi Titan, All the soldered connections were checked and fuse was first thing I checked. The tech was here on Friday and we both went over everything you mentioned. Thank You!
He had to call Thelin and they told him its either a bad relay or transformer. I don't think transformer burned up as you cant miss the stink when they do. Pointing to the relay. Just the idea of all that is going wrong.

I do not see it being a Transfromer either. I would go after Relay & make sure the wiring is correct going to it. Their should be 2 White wires that go directly to the Igniter from Relay in the middle top & bottom. ( I would also make sure the wire from Relay to Igniter has a good connection) The bottom right of the Relay is another white wire that goes to EMI Filter that brings in the 120 Volts & Top right is a red wire that goes to Igniter fuse holder. Then bottom left of Relay is a black wire that comes directly from wire harness as well as red wire on top left from harness.

Curious is stove working ok besides the igniter?

Im going to have to wait and hoping the relay was ordered. Stove is running 24/7 I shut down when it gets to hot or want to conserve on pellets. I just need to restart with gel or hand sanitizer....I didn't sign up for this!! ;sick

We did do a continuity test on the old one..no good. Also on the new one and that is good.

OK keep us posted. I do know these stoves & most be do not. Thelin stoves are a little different then others but they do work just as good as the others & they have a bad rap for years past. I hope it is the Relay because it cant be anything else. It seems to be an electrical issue somewhere.

Sorry to say but at this point I want it gone. Love the look, heat. Reliability is terrible.

Update ( for those that care) Spoke with owner yesterday and laid out concerns. He needs to talk to tech, partner and Thelin. Called today and he never spoke to partner, tried calling Thelin twice and they havnt gotten back to him. He will call me when he talks to Thelin. I will call him Tom. and keep asking. Why call Thelin..my thought is he wants money on the stove. That will dictate where this will go. In the meanwhile no word on the part or parts needed, have they been ordered and keep plenty of hand sanitizer handy.

Update ( for those that care) Spoke with owner yesterday and laid out concerns. He needs to talk to tech, partner and Thelin. Called today and he never spoke to partner, tried calling Thelin twice and they havnt gotten back to him. He will call me when he talks to Thelin. I will call him Tom. and keep asking. Why call Thelin..my thought is he wants money on the stove. That will dictate where this will go. In the meanwhile no word on the part or parts needed, have they been ordered and keep plenty of hand sanitizer handy.
I and and I'm sure many others care. You may want to let the dealer know that there are many of us in the pellet community watching this thread and at least I would take into great consideration whether or not to purchase a Thelin product or if in my area from this dealer. You have been kind and not listed his name but you can let him know that it can happen....

When all has been settled I will list name and hope its to praise him.

Stay positive im sure something good will come out if it.i bought 2 lemon cars In my life. A brand new 99 ford torus and a 2003 honda accord. I rember the calls to te dealer and calling zone manages it's a nightmare. Hope they make it right with you.

Thanks Ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.