What would you pay$$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
First off, I would like to say at the very least I am in a very envious position concerning my supply of wood. The church I attend sits on roughly 47acres which about 75% is wooded. All of the wood I get is free minus my travel, time and gas. However...with such an extremely mild winter coming to an end I have to believe that wood distributors are sitting on alot of wood that they normally would have sold. So..here is the question...What wood you pay for wood this coming spring/summer? I know if I had to pay it wouldn't be more than $120 a cord! Sooner or later they are going to have to start unloading. Spoke with a guy at work who has been burning for close to 25 yrs now. He told of a mild winter like this a while back and said some wood guys were practically giving there wood away. He estimated wood costs were about 75% less that spring/summer than the year before. Any of you guys who having been burning for say 25+yrs ever recall anything like that and what do you expect as far as cost this coming spring/summer? Thanks as always guys...

Certainly wouldn't want that wood sitting around an extra year. Might spoil. I've seen it for $135/cord around here, in the middle of the winter. I don't see how anybody could sell it for much less. I'd almost buy some if I didn't have 4-5 years worth sitting here already.

My experience is that wood prices are driven by demand, which is driven by the cost of oil (and other fuels). As the price of oil rises the price of wood rises.. just not so fast and not as much.

Maybe in your neighborhood it's cheaper, north central Mass it's about $220 a cord for green, cut split and delivered. (Don't know if your $120 is cut/split/delivered?)

i scrounge most of my wood but I bought 2 cords of hardwood split and delivered for $100/cord. That was hard to pass up. I ended up re-splitting a lot of it so it would season in a shorter period of time, but it was nice to boost my wood supply so quickly with one swift blow. The amount I saved in trips to people's houses splitting the wood, loading my truck a bunch of times. $100/ cord delivered is a great deal. I still prefer to scrounge, but I don't have to do it with pressure now. I'd say anything from like $135/cord and lower split and delivered to my house is worth paying for.

I just paid $120/cord Canadian for 12 cord of yellow birch, maple and beech.
I find I usually loose about 10% or so when cutting, so I expect I'll get about 10.5 cord out of this.
Last year I paid $130 a cord from a friend of a friend, when the going price was $135 - $140.
DSC00067.jpg

You guys are getting damned good prices on cut/split/delivered wood. Anything under $220 per cord is probably not a cord, or it's not hardwood in eastern Ma. My experience, anyway.

I routinely see $105/cord cut split pickup outside of the heating season. If I didn't enjoy gathering and processing, I would happily pay that over $3.25/gallon for LP.

$180-$200 (split & delivered) is the going rate here in north central Maryland.

It's been $120 - $140 here for years. The way I see it at that price they are giving the wood away. They are only charging
for there time and expenses. Not going to get any cheaper around here unless you find someone very desperate for money.

woodsmaster said:
It's been $120 - $140 here for years. The way I see it at that price they are giving the wood away. They are only charging
for there time and expenses. Not going to get any cheaper around here unless you find someone very desperate for money.

+1
I wouldn't want to do it for less, just moving the pile from the driveway to the back, cutting any long pieces and resplitting some of the larger ones, then stacking, is enough for me.

Mine costs me about $50/cord. Thats fuel, a chainsaw chain sharpened, and more fuel.

I have seen it advertised on CL for $120/cord cut and split but that isn't delivered. I've never bought any but I did find a CL ad for $40 for a truck load. I called and said I had a 16' trailer and 3/4 ton truck. He said it was $40 for as much as I could get. Most of it isn't split but it saves me a bunch of cutting down and cutting up. I can easily fit 2.5 cord on the trailer I bet. I'll post pics.

Now, HERE is an interesting CL listing:

Firewood - $150 (Upperco)

Date: 2012-02-25, 8:03AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Come all day and cut seasoned wood. 6 hours $150. All hard wood.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2869864243

firebroad said:

Who are these people?

seeyal8r said:
firebroad said:

Who are these people?

Apparently, they are my "neighbors". So, how much wood can you cut in six hours?

firebroad said:
seeyal8r said:
firebroad said:

Who are these people?

Apparently, they are my "neighbors". So, how much wood can you cut in six hours?

If I am coming to cut it then it's not seasoned. Yeah?

Here in CT I got about 2 cords of rounds delivered for $100 last week. Obviously I need to split/stack, and it will likely come to a bit less than 2 cords when all is said and done. Hardwoods with a little oak but not much.

I've also ordered 4 cords of green hardwood (again, little to no oak) @ $125 cord, split and delivered. Had to order multiple cords to get that price but it will give us a good jump on 2013 and onward.

Mary

You are a better woman that I, Mary. I doubt I could cut even a cord's worth in six hours, let alone fell trees.

Of course if you have a crew working with you, and the equipment, I am sure it would be worth your while. I can get my oak cut split and delivered for $150, and feel pretty good about it. It is still way cheaper than oil at $4.20 per gallon.

firebroad said:
You are a better woman that I, Mary. I doubt I could cut even a cord's worth in six hours, let alone fell trees.

Of course if you have a crew working with you, and the equipment, I am sure it would be worth your while. I can get my oak cut split and delivered for $150, and feel pretty good about it. It is still way cheaper than oil at $4.20 per gallon.

Oh no not me! LOL. I was just commenting on the premise of that ad - they are claiming it's seasoned but the ad is for people to come and cut it, so it's not seasoned right? :)

$150 for oak sounds good to me. Really good. I am playing the catch up game though, so trying to avoid buying green oak this year - once I've got a couple of years' stash set aside I'lll love to set aside some oak. :)

mfglickman said:
firebroad said:

Oh no not me! LOL. I was just commenting on the premise of that ad - they are claiming it's seasoned but the ad is for people to come and cut it, so it's not seasoned right? :)

$150 for oak sounds good to me. Really good. I am playing the catch up game though, so trying to avoid buying green oak this year - once I've got a couple of years' stash set aside I'lll love to set aside some oak. :)

Heck, I didn't even see the seasoned part! Maybe they sprinkled "seasoning" on the trees? True story--had a co-worker who had just such a notion. She was enlightened by me. :lol:

last fall I worked on these peoples house. Somehow we got talking about firewood. This guys wife says you can
cut all you want out of those bulldose piles for $600.00 I looked at her and kindly said no thank you, I have all the wood
I can cut allready.
After she went inside her husband says you can have the wood if you want it. I still said no thanks. I dont like
cutting out of a bulldoze pile if I don't need to.

6 hours huh?
Alone I could easily cut and load 2 cord onto my trailer. But that is falling then dragging with my truck, then cutting into 40" lengths just to get it loaded, then loading into the trailer that I drug the tree right up next to. But I would get that all done in 3 hours then be exhausted.

If I had a couple folks helping me with one guy falling, one guy dragging, and one guy cutting up, and all loading I bet you could get a ton done in 6 hours. But I still wouldn't pay to go clear trees for somebody else because the chances are it is going to be tough cutting, and not easy loading.

NordicSplitter said:
First off, I would like to say at the very least I am in a very envious position concerning my supply of wood. The church I attend sits on roughly 47acres which about 75% is wooded. All of the wood I get is free minus my travel, time and gas. However...with such an extremely mild winter coming to an end I have to believe that wood distributors are sitting on alot of wood that they normally would have sold. So..here is the question...What wood you pay for wood this coming spring/summer? I know if I had to pay it wouldn't be more than $120 a cord! Sooner or later they are going to have to start unloading. Spoke with a guy at work who has been burning for close to 25 yrs now. He told of a mild winter like this a while back and said some wood guys were practically giving there wood away. He estimated wood costs were about 75% less that spring/summer than the year before. Any of you guys who having been burning for say 25+yrs ever recall anything like that and what do you expect as far as cost this coming spring/summer? Thanks as always guys...

Thinking back many years the price of wood has been quite steady here in MI for many years. I recall about 30 years ago a fellow who had a large business was charging $45 per face cord (if my memory is correct). The price stayed right around that figure for many years, including warm winter years. It seemed to peak one winter when most everyone was asking $60-$65. Now with the glut of dead ash we again see it for $45 mostly. Have seen it as low as $35 last year but this year $45 seems to be the going rate.

Good pile and price LL.

Up here the mills dictate the price more than anything. They're using all they can get. i know of 3 mills that use 2200/2400 cord of hardwood a day.And those are just the 3 I know of.

Good price on good quality rock maple C/S and delivered $175. I 've seen guys adv as high as $220. I have been lucky and i get tree length for $95 a weighted cord(5000lbs) 60,000lbs usually stacks up to a little over 10 cord.

Drove through Watertown on Tuesday, picked up a "Shoppers Market" (or whatever the publication that is free that is at the door is called) at Hannafords. Several people advertising $50/cord, delivered if within 20 miles or so. I'm in Canada and can't take wood across the border, so of no interest to me, other than wondering if they mean a face or real cord...it does say cord. Maybe if anyone is in the area they can take advantage of this. Have a feeling one of the ads was for wood around Pulaski. I did see a huge amount of cut unsold wood between Booneville and Lowville, and some operations that are usually cutting had lots of trunks stacked, but were not cutting.... If anyone is close enough to inquire about that wood, and is interested, if they PM me I'll look for the paper for the phone numbers involved.

rideau said:
Drove through Watertown on Tuesday, picked up a "Shoppers Market" (or whatever the publication that is free that is at the door is called) at Hannafords. Several people advertising $50/cord, delivered if within 20 miles or so. I'm in Canada and can't take wood across the border, so of no interest to me, other than wondering if they mean a face or real cord...it does say cord. Maybe if anyone is in the area they can take advantage of this. Have a feeling one of the ads was for wood around Pulaski. I did see a huge amount of cut unsold wood between Booneville and Lowville, and some operations that are usually cutting had lots of trunks stacked, but were not cutting.... If anyone is close enough to inquire about that wood, and is interested, if they PM me I'll look for the paper for the phone numbers involved.

I would say they mean face cord, they price & say the same up here.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.