what would you trust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aka.bugle

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2008
Endless Mtns, PA
what would you trust?
MaryAnne the Tarm MB30 has a USG tridicator. When it reads 170F, a handheld IR thermometer positioned on the top boiler plate reads over 215F. I'm pretty certain there is no air in tthe top of the boiler (I have a coin vent in the top just for this purpose). Time for a new tridicator?

Although a difference of 45F is a lot, I never get too concerned about the readings of any temperature indicators, including digital, that haven't been calibrated. Boiling water is a pretty good calibrator. Part of the concern arises from digital indicators which, often reading into 10th of a degree, give the impression of extreme accuracy. Calibrate first, then compare ... and compare at the same read point, not different locations.

When I bought my IR temp gun I read through the manual and to my amazement there is a bunch of things that affect the reading. Shiny sufaces, material being measured, distance from material. In my manual it said there are some settings to change for different materials but the distance held from read point seemed to have the most affect. Mine will read 5 degrees different at about 2 feet away versus right up on it. Just food for thought is all.

How old is the tridicator?

Can't tell from the pic how shiny the surface is you're measuring with the gun - but spray a big spot of flat black BBQ paint where you're measuring and you will eliminate that possible accuracy wonker. They don't like shiny.

what would you trust?
Thanks all. The gauge is probably as old as the boiler , 1980. (Grin!) Guess I'll just relax and trust the bugger! As a side note... I got my manometer hooked up... Looking at .2 inches vacuum with boiler idling at 180F.

I installed a key damper in the smoke pipe, got the draft down to under .1 as long as I keep the firebox only 1/3 loaded. New Honeywell tridicator on order.

Attachments

• what would you trust?
    1455151946333.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.