What you've all been waiting for, another "HELP ME FIND A STOVE" thread..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay3000

Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Requirements.. Freestanding. Has to be either top load or RIGHT side load. Because of the way it will be situated there is not going to be much non combustible floor in front of the stove but plenty to the right. Clearances are not an issue. It will be taking the place of a Jutul Firelight 12 piece of crap. Same size as the 600 they currently sell.

Must be highly efficient, non catalytic. Will be heating 2200 SF. Would like to get overnight burn times. Also would like to stay at or under 2000 dollars. Not much over..

And, it needs an ash drawer...

Sounds like you are in line for a new F600, Quad Isle Royale, or Harman Oakwood. The under 2K could be hard, though maybe you can find a showroom model?

Get a big steel stove. Cast iron and soapstone stoves are ugly and evil. :coolgrin:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Englander 30-NC (most BTUs for the buck)
Pacific Energy Summit (In anything but "Whorehouse Red")
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

BrotherBart said:
Get a big steel stove. Cast iron and soapstone stoves are ugly and evil. :coolgrin:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

They all look like front loaders.. I do like pricing on steel stoves..

BrotherBart said:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

What is this? Are we aiming for a stove for every month? Looks like ya already got one for every season. %-P

Jay: for goodness sake just pick one and run with it. otherwise you`ll end up with more than you can possible ever use.

sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

What is this? Are we aiming for a stove for every month? Looks like ya already got one for every season. %-P

Jay: for goodness sake just pick one and run with it. otherwise you`ll end up with more than you can possible ever use.

?????? I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just looking for a top load or side load stove to replace the ONE stove that I have. BTW it a POS Jotul Firelight 12

jay3000 said:
sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

?????? I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just looking for a top load or side load stove to replace the ONE stove that I have. BTW it a POS Jotul Firelight 12

It is a joke. Look at brother barts signature. count how many stoves he has. You don`t need that many.

Don't worry, Jay...just take a look at Barts "stoveography" :coolhmm:

BB you need to add that old Sierra smoker out back too.

BeGreen said:

Or the two new in the crate Jotul Allagash enameled cast gas stoves in the storage facility. Long story.

Back to the OP. Look at the Harman TL300 top dumper. Though if you have enough hearth protection to be legal in the front of any stove that can be opened from the front, you have enough for any of the stoves I listed. Inspector don't care that you don't plan to open the door, just that you can.

sonnyinbc said:
jay3000 said:
sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:

Lopi Liberty
Quadrafire 5700
Regency F3100
Napoleon 1900

It is a joke. Look at brother barts signature. count how many stoves he has. You don`t need that many.

Sorry, it went right over my head.. BTW, did I mention that the Jotul Firelight 12 is a POS..

Uh, we get the message that you're unhappy with the stove Jay. Have you made progress with contacting Jotul?

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Or the two new in the crate Jotul Allagash enameled cast gas stoves in the storage facility. Long story.

Back to the OP. Look at the Harman TL300 top dumper. Though if you have enough hearth protection to be legal in the front of any stove that can be opened from the front, you have enough for any of the stoves I listed. Inspector don't care that you don't plan to open the door, just that you can.

My current stove sits about 8" from the carpet in front of it on a stone platform that is 1" high. The front doors have only been opened to clean the stove. Been like that for 11 years. THere are no wood stove police around here.

BeGreen said:
Uh, we get the message that you're unhappy with the stove Jay. Have you made progress with contacting Jotul?

NOPE.. Local dealer still can't get Jotul to return a quote for the parts list that I sent either. He said he will send it again. I'm not surprised having dealt with Jotul in the past. Jotul has made it impossible to contact them directly. So. I'm stuck with a middleman with little incentive to help me. There yo have it..

BB must be off his meds. steel, cast, soap. they all have advantages and disadvantages. get what you like and dont pay much attention to what you hear from unbiased opinions on this site, we are all a bunch of weirdos

Hanko said:
BB must be off his meds. steel, cast, soap. they all have advantages and disadvantages. get what you like and dont pay much attention to what you hear from unbiased opinions on this site, we are all a bunch of weirdos

Oh ya oh ya for sure. My cheese slid off my cracker long ago. Check out the Harman TL 300 stoves. Just picked one up myself. Top load and very nice indeed.

Jay, how many cords a year do you go through? What are typical stove top temps on Firelight 12?

BeGreen said:
Jay, how many cords a year do you go through? What are typical stove top temps on Firelight 12?

I honestly don't know the answer to either of those questions.. I make about 4 or 5 30 gallon trash cans full of ashes..

I had so much wood when I first built the house 10-11 years ago that there was one stretch where the stove burned steady for a 3 month period. Of couse it would burn down overnight and while we were gone in the daytime. We just opend the windows when it got too hot. It easier to keep it burning than to start new.

Here's how my current stove is situated. It's kind of dark, but you get the idea.. Extending the hearth kind of puts it in the traffic pattern.

attachment.php

How large is the house? The amount of ash is relative to the wood species burnt, but for comparison, I generate about 40 gallons of ash burning about 3 cords of wood. It sounds like you are generating about 3-4 times as much, which if equivalent would be about 9-12 cords of wood.

A stove top or flue thermometer is a good investment towards properly running a stove. I'm not defending the model 12, but it does sound like a whole lot of wood has been burned in it and perhaps pretty hot at times. It could be that the stove is not a POS after all, but maybe it has been driven hard, long and hot.

image link doesn't work for me. Can you post the jpeg directly to the forum? Use the "Post Reply" option, not the "Fast Reply" option to get the attachment upload option.

BeGreen said:
How large is the house? The amount of ash is relative to the wood species burnt, but for comparison, I generate about 40 gallons of ash burning about 3 cords of wood. It sounds like you are generating about 3-4 times as much, which if equivalent would be about 9-12 cords of wood.

A stove top or flue thermometer is a good investment towards properly running a stove. I'm not defending the model 12, but it does sound like a whole lot of wood has been burned in it and perhaps pretty hot at times. It could be that the stove is not a POS after all, but maybe it has been driven hard, long and hot.

It's a 2200 SF house with lots of vaulted ceilings. In the winter months I will go through approx. 4x4x18" stack of wood in a week. About 2 1/2 full loads in the stove per day.

That odd the pic shows up on my PC. It's posted on a BuickV8 forum. Let's see if this will work. Before, I couldn't find any way to upload to this site.

Attachments

• 101_0057 (600 x 395).jpg
    101_0057 (600 x 395).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 329
That works great. I lightened up the pic a little. That is a beautiful spot and the home looks really nice too. But the bad news is that appears to be a really illegal installation. Is that single wall pipe? If yes, the flue pipe clearances look way out of the safety zone.

How many square feet are you trying to heat with the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.