What's a good price for a used Alderlea insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socko

Jan 30, 2014
USA
Greetings,
I have a fireplace in my new home, and am looking into a wood stove insert. The guy I hired to clean my chimney has another customer that's selling a 2 year old used Alderlea T5 insert. He said he's asking $550 for it and it needs new trim and insulating blocks, which he said he'd get back to me with the price for. Does this seem like a good deal for a used insert, and are there any particular questions I should ask/ things I should look for when considering a used insert? I realize I will also need a liner and there will be a labor cost too, so it will still be an investment, but this is a bit nicer of a stove than I would typically be able to get so it is a tempting offer.
This is my first foray into fire in the home, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

That sounds like a great price. I was looking at a used drolet 1400 insert for $500. Always check the insert out first to check for any damage. But the deal sounds good to me.

Considering they are around $3k new, I'd say that is a good price. If there isn't much wrong with it. Not sure what trim and insulating blocks mean. Fire bricks and surround?

that sounds almost too good to be true if it needs only minor work. i did alot of looking at used woodstoves before i decided to sell mine and make a switch. overall 90% of the woodstoves for sale are from 400-600$ it seems. doesnt matter if its 2 years old, or 25 years old. if it needs no work, or needs a complete overhaul. it makes no sense. perhaps the used market isnt as strong as i would have thought.

like i said, even with some work needed, it sounds like an absoulte steal.

that sounds almost too good to be true if it needs only minor work. i did alot of looking at used woodstoves before i decided to sell mine and make a switch. overall 90% of the woodstoves for sale are from 400-600$ it seems. doesnt matter if its 2 years old, or 25 years old. if it needs no work, or needs a complete overhaul. it makes no sense. perhaps the used market isnt as strong as i would have thought.

Complete opposite here. I can buy old, beat up, rusted, home made POS I wouldn't put in my garage for $300-1000 all day. Any name brands like VC, Lopi, Jotul, etc, people try to sell for way more. Like maybe 75% of new retail. For real. It's crazy.

yes, i left out that those that are left on the market are the ones people price way too high. in other words, around here its the beat up junk for 400-600 and the newsed ones for 2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.