What's the best way to replace the gaskets on a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GVA

Minister of Fire
I hope the thread title is descriptive enough.
Mine doesn't appear to be in desperate need of replacement. But the last time it was running it sounded like a Huey inbound.....
Which usually means either the hopper is open or there is a leak some where.

So on a Harman, what goop is recommended for the rope Gasket?

Red HT silicone is what I use on Quad wood units. You only need a small bead to hold it in place. I think you can also use stove cement.

GVA said:
I hope the thread title is descriptive enough.
Mine doesn't appear to be in desperate need of replacement. But the last time it was running it sounded like a Huey inbound.....
Which usually means either the hopper is open or there is a leak some where.

So on a Harman, what goop is recommended for the rope Gasket?

most gaskets are either self adhesive (hopper lid) or use high temp silicone , we use a 550 degree silicone with our door gaskets , should be sufficient in any pellet stove door i would imagine.

does sound like you are sucking air, or if you are connected to a chimney or have a signifigant vertical rise that can pick up natural draw you may be getting what we refer to down here as "woofing" essentially its an airflow thing , air starts racing through the air path from draft effect , if new gaskets do not cure it , try covering a little bit of the intake opening with tape then close a bit more and a bit more until the rumble subsides (at least on our older units (which used to do that in chimney hookups)) usually about 1/4 to 1/2 covered will setle it down. im not sure that a harmon would react exactly like our units do , but it is a possibility especially if its a new install and not somthing which has come on recently

Thanks for the replies guy's.
No Mike it's been there a few years now, and the Huey (or whoofing) only happened in the past when someone had the hopper not latched.
I'm not sure if it is the door gasket or the ashpan on mine that needs the gasket but I figure I'd replace both at the same time, so I guess I'll use rutland HT rtv thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.