What's the deal with burning cardboard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on a few different threads about people burning cardboard, compressing it, creating logs and whatnot. But I have to wonder, what's the deal?

My understanding is that lumber can be burned if not treated, and mixed in, or perhaps used for kindling to start a fire. But it seems common sense to me NOT to burn cardboard, particularly for the main fuel source. Also, there are almost always inks on the cardboard, and that can't be good to burn. So why burn it?

-Kevin

Does anyone know were I can get a tri-axle load of cardboard and a box cutter with a 24" bar...I mean blade.

Gunner said:
Does anyone know were I can get a tri-axle load of cardboard and a box cutter with a 24" bar...I mean blade.
Get a drywall t-square and a nice sharp utility knife, those box chain saws can be awfully expensive ;-P

I'm pretty sure that Dylan is a stockholder in the Rand-Whitney paperboard factory in our neck of the woods, and is trying to drum up business! ;-P

GVA said:
Gunner said:
Get a drywall t-square and a nice sharp utility knife, those box chain saws can be awfully expensive ;-P

Yes they can be expensive, but when I come out of the cardboard shed with an armfull of 4 year old produce boxes this winter it will all be worthwhile.

I can see the headline now...

"Cardboard shed burns as man cuts sheets of fuel with torch"

Whadaya burn?..................................Hardboard or softboard?
Georgia pacific or international paper?
instead of BTU's do you discuss crush test PSI? ............ recycle content?.....:cheese:

Just wondering here most cardboard boxes are laminated........ What are the effects of the glue on the stove/environment?
It's a rhetorical question................................................................................................................................................

I bet those MDF boards I have used to make an audio rack would go up nicely, they seem to be a lot more dense than simply pressed boards and are pretty heavy. :)

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.