What's the Door Gasket For, Anyway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
What's the reason that a firebox door needs a Gasket, anyway? Shutting the door, keep the sparks and flames out of the room, gasket or not, right?

Or is it really about any gas (fumes) that could escape into the house?

Once you've set me straight on the value of a door gasket, .........please include any historical info on how often YOU have changed YOUR gasket. (thanks).

I know about the "dollar bill" test, although I confess that I haven't attempted that yet. Our stove was only burned for 4 months so far, and I don't see the gasket hanging off the door anywhere, so it's most likely ok.
I WILL do "the dollar bill test" though (points his finger at himself for emphasis)!

-Soupy1957

Its not what the door gasket allows out Soupy......It is what it allows in to the stove...... Hint= Its all about control... Stew on that one Soup.... :coolhmm:
Night Night.

Can't say it much better than that...

As for changing it, I changed it on my first stove. Did not, but had to puff it up a every once in a while on the Century. Haven't had to touch it on the Enlgander.

Matt

if you like a hot outta control fire, I guess you don't need gasket... but if you like to control the fire you need it!

considering an epa non cat stove has the 2ndary air always open, the idea is to bring combustion air in preheated either thru primary or secondary ports. flame can sustain 1200*f better if air is heated & dispersed/turbulated as per secondary ports. Primary air washes down the glass to keep it clean. BUT HOW DOES THE PRIMARY AIR, WHICH IS HEATED & ENTERS WHERE THE STOVE EXHAUSTS, MANAGE TO SINK DOWN THE GLASS & FEED THE FIRE? instead of just getting sucked up by the draft

It keeps the bird in the stove.

BirdinEndeavor2.jpg

little guy has got to breathe, right!?

You figured it out yet Soup?

It's all about the oxygen . . . and controlling the fire.

Now you have it. The gasket seals the stove just like other gaskets do. When the gasket gets too compressed or has shrunk you begin letting in more oxygen which most fires really love; well, people do too.

Just get hold of the gasket and pull it out. A wire brush that you can put on an electric drill works nicely for cleaning out the groove. Then dab some glue in, push the gasket in (I don't stretch them but have seen some do it that way), let it set until the glue dries and you have a wonderful working stove again.

Duh..........I tink I got it..........lol

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.